IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Seems like 3 is the reasonable choice. But...
Hi Norm,

Sorry you're in that situation. I hope you bounce back soon.

#1 is very risky. Seems to me that if they didn't want you to leave they would have told you earlier on that you needed to improve. Thus, #1 seems to lead to a bad end (sooner or later).

#2 doesn't make sense to me. It's my understanding that you can't get unemployment insurance if you resign. But IANAL and may very well be misinformed.

#3 seems to be the only reasonable choice. Clean things up reasonably well, leave and collect unemployment while you search for your next position. Try to leave on relatively good terms as you'll probably have to list them as references.

Do you have any vacation time or sick leave you haven't used? Find out if they'll pay you for any time like that which you haven't used yet.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Sick leave and Short-Term disability
HR is checking into what sick leave I have left. All that is needed is a note from my doctor and I am sure that I can get that and fax it to HR. The medical condition is real, I am under care for it, and things haven't been going well for me. So I can take sick leave and try to get better, or apply for short-term disability and get 60% of the salary and keep my insurance going. Then after the sick leave or short-term disability I can decide what action to take.

I appreciate the help I got from here and the advice. I will provide updates.

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

New its sounds like the company is sick not you.
If you have serious sick time built up take it. Show up at yer docs and tell him straight out that they are trying to fire you over being sick. You have x amount of sick time built up use it under HR guidelines. Then be brutal with your manager. Tell him you feel the company is taking advantage of you, disclosing HR records to co-workers is illegal and nastily ask if he knows of any lawyers that like to do wrongful dismisal suits. Tell him that you are a loyal employee but feel the need to place your interests over the companies interest due to bad management. Do it in writing and CC the Senior Partners. Before you do that on the QT find out which firms seriously has a grudge against yer firm and if anything happens approach the immediately. I do not advocate suing, just let them know if they let you go it is to their benefit not to fsck you any further. You are competant, knowledgeable and these fsckers are looking for sweatshop workers.
my 2 cents,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New You are working for lawyers. Right?
Do you imagine that the wiles of anyone here (plus your own) can match the combined self-interest of a whole company of lawyers?

There appear to be some obvious and some subtle consequences of the details, including the non-acknowledgment of illness (which you are able to authenticate, document by bills and their dates) - and some leaks of confidential info, as Bill points out. These are obvious bargaining chips. But you have to have some bargaining instruction first. There may well be *lots* you ought not discuss with *their* HR!

You aren't Bill (or me or anyone else here) nor, I think - can you do a particularly good job of pretending a "self-assurance" you say you don't feel.. And in case you have forgotten: in bizness life as in the rest - most often you are playing a role and being judged by others playing their roles. You'd have to act out of character IMhO, to bring off a "change of personality" - ie a Better Bluff than theirs! Y'know?

Whatever are the choices offered you: they are 'devices' of a group which sees some benefit to themselves - whichever choice you make. Clearly this company is not about to explain to you ~ what they are surely aware of:

Any strengths of argument you *would make* - if you had studied the options, were aware of the laws, aware of the company's failings (and perhaps misrepresentations and outright lies too).

Were it I - I would not imagine I could play it all by ear, and choose on instinct: against trained sharks ???

Whatever other uses you have for the $, and however much that worries you - can you think of a better place to spend some $, than having at least one lawyer *working for you* right now?

The mere act of hiring one! might be a most beneficial part of "your role in this play". Further, should your advisor agree: there might be an excellent (and likely personally satisfying - cackle..) way of 'breaking the news' to your resident shark tank..

Anyway.. my advice is: Don't take our or *your own* amateur advice. BUY some professional advice and use the results to the hilt of the sword thrust deep into the collective shark-chest. And smile. Attitude is fucking ALL in these daily idiotic games. You WILL feel more confident, with some help - and you CAN learn how to display that. Yes, you too.

(IMO you are a lot smarter than they think you are, but you are likely Not a better 'bizness actor' than they think you are. No?) So don't 'act as if you know' .. act from knowledge.

(If you 'save' that cost, you'll never know what might have gone better, and you may regret that feeling long after the thrill is gone).

FWIW.

A.
     A bit of bad news today - (orion) - (39)
         Hope you weather the storm... - (ChrisR)
         Re: A bit of bad news today - (Arkadiy) - (2)
             But there is another option I had not considered - (orion) - (1)
                 Realistically, don't bother. - (admin)
         Hey bud sorry to hear this - (boxley)
         Sorry to hear of it, Orion. - (a6l6e6x)
         Just based on your past experiences with this company, - (SpiceWare)
         OK I'm confused - (tuberculosis) - (27)
             they claim he will get benefits - (boxley) - (26)
                 Yes I don't believe them - (orion) - (25)
                     Take #1. - (bepatient) - (1)
                         I'll take it under advisement - (orion)
                     I am sorry - (orion) - (22)
                         What? - (addison) - (21)
                             Any word from Orion? - (mhuber) - (20)
                                 I got an email a few days ago, Ill check -NT - (boxley) - (19)
                                     What happened to me - (orion) - (18)
                                         hey buddy we were worried about ya - (boxley) - (7)
                                             I was kind of out of it - (orion) - (6)
                                                 Something maybe not brought to your attention - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                     What is clear to me - (orion) - (4)
                                                         by all means put the keyboard down and get better:) -NT - (boxley)
                                                         Sounds quite clear enough. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                             Ahh, yes to have the time to scratch yerself - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 Will light candle. - (Ashton)
                                         Kinda figured you were cooling out.. - (Ashton)
                                         Glad you're still with us. - (static)
                                         {Phew!} Great to hear from you. -NT - (Meerkat)
                                         how long until your short term disability runs out? - (boxley)
                                         good to see you - (Steve Lowe)
                                         Welcome back. Sincere best of luck. Hang in there. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         Glad to hear from you - (mhuber)
                                         Great to hear from you, good luck -NT - (drewk)
                                         Add one more well-wisher - (inthane-chan)
                                         Time to start looking after #1 - (pwhysall)
         Seems like 3 is the reasonable choice. But... - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Sick leave and Short-Term disability - (orion) - (2)
                 its sounds like the company is sick not you. - (boxley)
                 You are working for lawyers. Right? - (Ashton)

Unfortunately, with great ambition comes great shit hitting the fan.
257 ms