A non-Indian couple adopted an Indian fetus. The Indian couple were going to get married, but when the relationship soured (before the child was born) the father received a text message asking if he preferred to pay child support or abandon his parental rights. He sent a text message back saying he voluntarily surrendered his parental rights. The mom decides to put the child up for adoption. When the child was born, the non-Indian couple executed a legal adoption of that child. When the toddler turned 2 years 3 months, biological dad sought to enforce his parental rights using a law (depending upon whose reading you choose to follow) crafted to halt ripping children away from Indian families. The justices disagree about the interpretation of the special law. The majority held that the law intended only to support Indian families whose children were in their custodial care (i.e. those Indian parents who had not surrendered their parental rights). Dissenting justices held that the majority had read too much into the intent of the law (i.e. that it only addressed Indian parental rights when those parents had children in their continuous custodial care).

A good read, but I haven't the time at the moment to finish it.