IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Help in verifying
All,
Just got an email from a friend in NY who wanted me to see the following short video…
http://www.youtube.c...&feature=youtu.be
I haven't had a chance to check the veracity of the source, etc… but was disturbed by the content. Not pro blue or red but definitely anti-civilized.
Just a few,

Dan
New You didn't already know this?
Given the distribution, our politicians can't afford to work for anyone below the top 10% - so don't expect any help from them.
New seen this already, here even ...
watch out for Box's response.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New check it when I get home
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New You may also like (or not)
Here's a finding that would have made for great occupy sign last year: American income inequality may be more severe today than it was way back in 1774 -- even if you factor in slavery.

That stat's not actually as crazy (or demoralizing) as it sounds, but it might upend some of the old wisdom about our country's economic heritage. The conclusion comes to us from an newly updated study by professors Peter Lindert of the University of California - Davis and Jeffrey Williamson of Harvard. Scraping together data from an array of historical resources, the duo have written a fascinating exploration of early American incomes, arguing that, on the eve of the Revolutionary War, wealth was distributed more evenly across the 13 colonies than anywhere else in the world that we have record of.

Suffice to say, times have changed.

http://www.theatlant...s-in-1774/262537/

Here's some more info from 2010:
http://www2.ucsc.edu...power/wealth.html

New I remember examining Andy Jackson's accounting journals
when I was in Nashville. The man was slave poor.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New As were most Southerners.
New As were most Slave Owning Southerners. FIFY
New Huh?
Most Southerners were "slave poor" because most Southerners didn't own slaves. You had to be fairly fricking wealthy (by most Southerner's standards) to own even one slave.
New What I think he meant
When I hear the term "house poor" I understand it to mean the owner doesn't have liquidity because all their money is tied up in too much house. So I assumed "slave poor" meant he couldn't afford anything else after paying upkeep on the slaves. Which obviously only happens if you have slaves.
--

Drew
New you got it
all of his capital was in slaves, he could not afford to free them because of debt but he was taxed at a ridiculous rate because of his personal property so to speak. A nasty conundrum.
New Ah. Thanks. Was thinking something else.
Like "I'm time poor" means "I don't have any time."
New Things changed quickly shortly thereafter...
Jackson died in 1845 - near a local minimum in the total estimated value of slaves. Take a gander at the graph in TNC's post today: http://www.theatlant...he-slaves/277073/

Perhaps this is too crude an interpretation but the graph above, measuring the incredible rise in the wealth represented by the pilfering of black labor, tracks directly with the political debate. When slaves were worth only a cool $300 million, property in man was an "unhappy influence." When that number skyrocketed in excess of $3 billion, suddenly it was a "positive good."

Cheers,
Scott.
New he also had to pay an annual property tax
on these folks, it was what was keeping him poor
New The BBC broadcast a good series: "Why Poverty?".
I only saw a couple, but they've got a YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/WhyPoverty

Well worth a watch. "Poor Us" is a good (and short) introduction.

Cheers,
Scott.
New so, rich people own more than you thought?
and they get richer because they force american tax payers to borrow money and give it to them since they own the printing presses and they already got everything else we own(ed). Somehow folks want us to think that the government is going to help them. Go figure
New Government will do nothing . . .
. . because it is a wholly owned subsidiary of the 1%.

Who do you get to vote for in elections? Rich people and their lawyers. You don't have any other choices.
New s/1/0.1/
New Re: s/1/0.1/
s/1/0.1/g

FIFY.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
     Help in verifying - (danreck) - (18)
         You didn't already know this? - (Andrew Grygus)
         seen this already, here even ... - (folkert)
         check it when I get home -NT - (boxley)
         You may also like (or not) - (mmoffitt) - (9)
             I remember examining Andy Jackson's accounting journals - (boxley) - (8)
                 As were most Southerners. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     As were most Slave Owning Southerners. FIFY -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                         Huh? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             What I think he meant - (drook) - (2)
                                 you got it - (boxley)
                                 Ah. Thanks. Was thinking something else. - (mmoffitt)
                 Things changed quickly shortly thereafter... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     he also had to pay an annual property tax - (boxley)
         The BBC broadcast a good series: "Why Poverty?". - (Another Scott)
         so, rich people own more than you thought? - (boxley) - (3)
             Government will do nothing . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 s/1/0.1/ -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Re: s/1/0.1/ - (folkert)

I invited her up to my place for a little midnight bait. I said, "Come on, baby. It'll only take a few minnows." She threw me that same old line: "Not tonight, I've got a haddock."
249 ms