IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New GPS is turned on when the phone is off
You have to actually pull the battery to shut it completely off. Ostensibly, it's for your own good; nobody has explained why...
New You know what?
I'm the first one who posted that, but now I'm wondering if it's actually true. Snopes isn't conclusive. I see a lot of, "I read this somewhere so I know it's true." But I can't find a solid reference.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
--

Drew
New Only way to know...
It to have a sensitive RF detector in a shielded room, turn the damned thing off and see what happens.

I'm not exactly sure this is true. Considering how much additional battery the GPS functions take. Reporting also requires output... considering how long the batteries don't last when out of the phone and you get slightly less time when in the phone when off...

I'm thinking this is conspiracy theory here.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New It's speced but I don't remember where...
When I was at Cisco, we had addons for wireless. There was a suggested addon to track shoppers by their phones in stores and allow the stores to shoot them advertizements based on the aisle they were in. Somewhere in the proposal, there was a spec for phones that indicated that GPS could not be turned off at all. There was some assurance that all phone manufacturers followed the spec.
Is it true? damifiknow
New You can turn GPS off on your phone.
And you can turn your phone off. When it is off, it's not talking to the network and is not tracking its location.

But one can turn on phones remotely.

That's the only plausible way that I can see that a phone that is off (and/or has its GPS off) can give away your location.

E.g. http://www.brighthub...ticles/51103.aspx

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
     too long lrpd - (boxley) - (10)
         But how will the FBI know where you are? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
             Phone doesn't have to be "on" for GPS - (drook) - (2)
                 I bet a layer of aluminum foil would do the trick. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     A Farady cage solves lots of problems. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             unless you take the battery out, they will know -NT - (boxley)
             GPS is turned on when the phone is off - (hnick) - (4)
                 You know what? - (drook) - (3)
                     Only way to know... - (folkert)
                     It's speced but I don't remember where... - (hnick)
                     You can turn GPS off on your phone. - (Another Scott)

Perhaps someone needs to clarify a few items in the process so we can actually complete the process.
69 ms