IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Lucked out big time
Usually when a timing chain goes, a valve is left down and a piston comes up. There are two objects competing for the same space in a tightly machined environment. The fragmented pieces recirculate while the crank is intact.
Possibly not described as "pretty"...
New Depends...
...on whether the engine is an "interference" design or not.
New OHC engines are less forgiving, too.
Some bent pushrods in, e.g. a GM V8, are relatively easy to recover from, but camshaft lobes don't bend too easily...

(GM V8s in the '70s often had nylon-coated gears to drive the timing chain - they were quieter than metal-to-metal designs. But if the car ever overheated, the nylon would crack and fall off, leading to chain slippage. If it slipped enough, then ...)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Been there done that...
Swapped the gears out for Double Roller... which where also quieter than the nylon gears and chain with slop.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Yup.
It was a fairly easy fix, too, as those things go. It was satisfying to see the timing mark actually move smoothy with increasing RPM rather than jump around +/- 5 degrees or more at idle... :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is glad he doesn't have to mess around with stuff like that any more though.)
     The world according to Twitter - (scoenye) - (9)
         Interesting. Seems not much is going on in Rapid City, SD. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             I had a car that broke its timing chain - (lincoln) - (7)
                 Wow... it wasn't fatal to the car? - (malraux) - (6)
                     fortunately not - (lincoln) - (5)
                         Lucked out big time - (hnick) - (4)
                             Depends... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 OHC engines are less forgiving, too. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Been there done that... - (folkert) - (1)
                                         Yup. - (Another Scott)

If I'm going to visit an exotic foreign land with L. Ron Hubbard or Jim Jones, I'll opt for the Scientology tour.
70 ms