IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Context please.
Apparently the IRS raided a HIPPA medical company and took a lot of medical records without a warrant; just a high handed grab. Another assertion of an IRS screwup.
New Thanks.
http://www.nextgov.c...th-records/63179/

Barnes said the IRS search warrant only “authorized the seizure of financial records related principally to a former employee of the company; it did not authorize any seizure of any health care or medical record of any persons, least of all third parties completely unrelated to the matter.”

Despite this stricture, Barnes charged the agents “seized personal mobile phones, including all the data and information on those phones, without any employing the proper and procedurally correct screening methods to protect private and privileged information, all of which was completely unapproved by the search warrant."

So the IRS had a warrant but Barnes said they couldn't have HIPAA records. I have no idea how the IRS people with the warrant are supposed to be able to grab everything they need in an expeditious manner while sorting HIPAA from non-HIPAA records. Presumably they were on the same computer(s).

(I realize that HIPAA records are likely supposed to be segregated and carefully controlled, but I have no idea about the details.)

I'm not buying the "jackbooted thugs" spin that I assume is out there (based on the breathless headlines) myself. We'll see.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New maybe the large signs on the front of the building
HIPPA secured data, must pass security might have gave them a minor clue?
Currently working with such data, such stuff is taken VERY seriously.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New I'm sure this isn't the first time the IRS has had to deal
with HIPAA.

E.g. from 2004 (10 page .PDF) - http://www.irs.gov/p...m/cc-2004-034.pdf

This Notice discusses the effect of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Regulations, 45 C.F.R. parts 160 and 164, when the Service requests protected health information from a taxpayer or third party. Under these regulations, the Service will generally have additional burdens when requesting protected health information from a “covered entity” or a covered entity’s business associate. There are three exceptions that allow the Service to obtain protected health information while enforcing the Internal Revenue Code: the consent of the taxpayer, the law enforcement exception, and the administrative and judicial proceedings exception. This Notice discusses the standards for applying these exceptions.

The louder and the faster the RWNM (right wing noise machine) screams about something Obama or the federal government has done, the less likely there is something nefarious behind it.

Remember the "Death Panels"?

The civil service people who work in the federal government generally know what they're doing, believe it or not. They don't write the laws - Congress does. They just have to figure out ways to turn what Congress writes into sensible rules.

If the IRS screwed up in this search, I'm sure they'll have some explaining to do when it goes before a judge.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New wesley snipes lawyer is hardly the right wing nutjob brigade
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Heh. We'll see. :-)
New actually my source for that pdf was from my
weekly sans report :-) http://www.sans.org/
New Interesting. Doesn't mean the IRS did anything wrong though.
:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New maybe you got a picture of the building with that sign?

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
     under today's we are the government so you can trust us - (boxley) - (10)
         Context please. - (Another Scott) - (9)
             Re: Context please. - (hnick) - (8)
                 Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     maybe the large signs on the front of the building - (boxley) - (6)
                         I'm sure this isn't the first time the IRS has had to deal - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             wesley snipes lawyer is hardly the right wing nutjob brigade -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Heh. We'll see. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     actually my source for that pdf was from my - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Interesting. Doesn't mean the IRS did anything wrong though. - (Another Scott)
                         maybe you got a picture of the building with that sign? -NT - (lincoln)

It is a silly place.
50 ms