IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not just ships, although that place is pretty bad...
I remember a story about a small airport in a remote area of Arkansas. They kept a few small planes there for the war effort, at the end of the war, they just buried them.

http://www.dailymail...Google-Earth.html
New hmm, steal tanker of kerosene and joyride time :-)
wonder if they have any voodoo's?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Who'da thunk: an authentic Military mosaic! (sans blood)
New I like that there's only one Warthog
Those things stay in service until there's nothing left.
--

Drew
New The Air Force hates those things.
They don't want practical ground support platforms, they want hot-shot dog fighting "air superiority" planes.

They had to take them because the administration (Carter's if I recall correctly) forced them to.

During the design and prototype phase, the Air Force kept telling the designers "it has to be faster!, lots faster!"

The design crew's consultant, a Luftwaffe pilot who knocked out a huge number of tanks during WWII, kept telling them, "No, it has to be slower - at least as slow as you can make it".

The Air Force almost got permission to junk them - then there was this little unpleasantness in the Gulf.

After that, not only was junking them not allowed, but Congress started thinking about the possibility of forcing Warthog II on them.
New Yup
The Marines offered to take over the whole program. Air Force decided the only thing worse than a ground-support plane was a plane they didn't control.

It's basically an armored bathtub with a couple engines and a Gatling gun. They've come back from missions with 15% of the wing surface area shot out and still flying. And they're ugly as fuck.

What's not to like?
--

Drew
New Not just a Gatling gun . . .
. . but a swimming pool full of rockets and bombs as well.

The arrangement of engines and tail fins is interesting. The engines are shrouded with cold air bypass to reduce their visibility to heat seeking missiles, and the tail fins are set far back behind the engines so the plane can be turned a bit to mask the engine heat.
     Think 'IT' suxxors (as a viable place to stay sane) Try this - (Ashton) - (9)
         Here is the location. - (folkert)
         There was a photo essay about this a few years ago -NT - (drook)
         Not just ships, although that place is pretty bad... - (dmcarls) - (6)
             hmm, steal tanker of kerosene and joyride time :-) - (boxley)
             Who'da thunk: an authentic Military mosaic! (sans blood) -NT - (Ashton)
             I like that there's only one Warthog - (drook) - (3)
                 The Air Force hates those things. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     Yup - (drook) - (1)
                         Not just a Gatling gun . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Rain, rain, go away. I can't stand you for one more day.
270 ms