IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Looking for free ftp-capable backup software...
...that can be scheduled via Windows scheduler or my existing Jenkins or something similar, and which is explicitly legal for use in a corporate environment.

FOSS solutions preferred, of course. :-)

I maintain a couple of little Abyss websites at work on the corporate intranet, and I love that software (it's simple, flexible, and reliable), but I have primary and secondary web servers that I'd like to keep in synch. And probably a third soon as an additional insurance policy. Long story ... let's just say the machines are tolerated, but not formally supported, by the PC folks here.

Most of the content is pushed out to each server via ftp from the same source (I run Filezilla on the servers), so those bits are already "synched", but each site also has some static web pages, mainly static HTML containers for holding various gnuplot images and text files I generate.

I want to be able to keep the directory trees on each server in synch with each other. Being able to use regex to specify a subset (or exclude a subset) would be a nice plus.

Right now, I use WS-FTP Pro's Synchronize Utility to keep sections of the secondary in synch with the primary, but I have a few GB of data on the web site, and I'd like to find a better tool ... I only have one license for WS_FTP Pro, and the chances of corporate buying me another license is slim.

Any ideas? Maybe it'd be better to use scp, assuming a good scp server exists for Windows. I dunno.
--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
New this looks interesting and gpl
http://www.aboutmyip...App/DeltaCopy.jsp
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New One issue with DeltaCopy
It can make a mess out of file permissions on NTFS. We use it to back up the configuration of a set of Linux gateways to a Windows server in reach of Backup Exec. When run as the local system account, the repository created by the DeltaCopy server does not inherit the permissions it should from its parent directory. You'll have to periodically go in, grab ownership of the lot and reset the permissions.

It may behave different when run as a regular user account but we have not tried that yet.
New sitecopy is good, but uncertain about it running on Windows
It pretty much does everything your describe and talks a variety of protocols, incluing FTP.

There are no longer any precompiled Windows binaries available at the source (http://www.manyfish.co.uk/sitecopy/), but
http://sitecopy.soft....net/download.asp claims to have one for an earlier point release.
     Looking for free ftp-capable backup software... - (rcsteiner) - (3)
         this looks interesting and gpl - (boxley) - (1)
             One issue with DeltaCopy - (scoenye)
         sitecopy is good, but uncertain about it running on Windows - (scoenye)

Throw 'er into the POND!
61 ms