Here's the full abstract from the paper:

http://onlinelibrary...6A81DF8469.d02t02

Keywords:

Cannabis;
vulnerability for psychosis;
adolescence

Abstract (205 words)

Aims

To examine the direction of the longitudinal association between vulnerability for psychosis and cannabis use throughout adolescence.

Design

Cross-lagged path analysis was used to identify the temporal order of vulnerability for psychosis and cannabis use, while controlling for gender, family psychopathology, alcohol use and tobacco use.

Setting

A large prospective population study of Dutch adolescents [the TRacking Adolescents′ Individual Lives Survey (TRAILS) study].

Participants

A total of 2,120 adolescents with assessments at (mean) age 13.6, age 16.3 and age 19.1.

Measurements

Vulnerability for psychosis at the three assessment points was represented by latent factors derived from scores on three scales of the Youth Self Report and the Adult Self Report, i.e. Thought Problems, Social Problems and Attention Problems. Participants self- reported on cannabis use during the past year at all three waves.

Findings

Significant associations (r=.12-.23) were observed between psychosis vulnerability and cannabis use at all assessments. Also, cannabis use at age 16 predicted psychosis vulnerability at age 19 (z=2.6, p<.05). Furthermore, psychosis vulnerability at ages 13 (z=2.0, p<.05) and 16 (z=3.0, p<.05) predicted cannabis use at, respectively, ages 16 and 19.

Conclusions

Cannabis use predicts psychosis vulnerability in adolescents, and vice versa which suggests that there is a bi-directional causal association between the two.

I think the important results are in the "Findings" and in the "Conclusions" section.

The word "bidirectional" doesn't support your apparent belief that smoked pot is well understood, compatible (or not) with people "just like sex" - http://forum.iwethey...iwt?postid=367710 - , that people just need to exercise afterward and wait 10 minutes to be safe to drive, etc.

(See, I can distill your posts in deceptive ways, too. Infuriating, isn't it? :-p)

Once again, here's a distillation of my thoughts on the topic: http://forum.iwethey...iwt?postid=367755

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Or as I said before ...
The world doesn't suck because people self-medicate. People self-medicate because the world sucks.
--

Drew
New But I support no adolescent use
http://forum.iwethey...iwt?postid=368724

Have fun with that straw man.
New Why did you call us out in the start of this thread?
I still don't understand the point you were trying to make there.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Maybe...
because we haven't posted to the thread that won't die in while? ;0)
New Not untill they cart you off to jail
for persecuting people who aren't harming you.
New They don't do that here.
This is the U.S. Anybody can persecute anyone else as long as there is a profit in it for a big money special interest. Got to keep things polarized and the jails full, you know.
New You vastly overstate my powers.
New Intentions count
     Hey AS and MM - (crazy) - (19)
         Why did you stop your quote there? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
             Because he was making a policy recommendation - (drook) - (6)
                 I think the point Scott was making ... - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     Your quote doesn't say "needs more study" - (drook) - (3)
                         That was my inference from the whole article. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                             I've seen that in far too many health studies - (drook) - (1)
                                 Nice try. - (mmoffitt)
                     No, I ALWAYS say people should wait for adulthood - (crazy)
         Not understanding your point. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             Or as I said before ... - (drook)
             But I support no adolescent use - (crazy) - (6)
                 Why did you call us out in the start of this thread? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     Maybe... - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         Not untill they cart you off to jail - (crazy) - (3)
                             They don't do that here. - (hnick)
                             You vastly overstate my powers. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Intentions count -NT - (crazy)
         And here is the double blind study to prove it kills pain - (crazy) - (1)
             It's only a 30% reduction. - (Another Scott)

Does that mean my tea's made?
86 ms