IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New He did it again...
The shitweasel did what the Republicans wanted again: Kerry is nominated for secretary of state, which means Republican Scott Brown is likely to take his seat in the senate, considering that the Republicans have bottomless pockets if it means gaining more control of the senate. There is nothing special about Kerry for state; he's just a frat boy graduated to senior country club/senate status. He just needs to be smart enough to remember to breath, put pants on before going to work, and not to give his bag man instructions in public. He's just a freakin' senator.
Obama has got to be a closet Republican. He has a slight advantage in the senate, but only slight, because as AScott pointed out, the dems have no party discipline. Now he's trying to ditch that slight advantage. I wish I'd voted for a golden retriever; at least retrievers are loyal.
New OTOH.
Charlie Pierce - http://www.esquire.c...nomination-122112

Kerry is a good, safe choice for the job. He has made an entire Senate career out of taking on foreign-policy issues that nobody else — except Gary Hart — ever wanted to touch. He led the way in normalizing diplomatic relations with Vietnam at a time in which H. Ross Perot was still running around the country talking about thousands of American POW's in camps in Laos, and while the country was filling the theaters watching Sly Stallone as John Rambo, doing as good a job of revising that sad episode in American history as can be expected from an actor who sat out the war as the chaperone at a girls' school in Switzerland. He took on the rat's nest at the Bank Of Commerce And Credit International, when BCCI was laundering money for whoever came through the door, and when BCCI also had bought enough politicians in Washington that Kerry and his investigators were pretty much out there alone. Here's a bit on that from a profile I did back in 2004.

In the Senate, throughout the 1980s, Kerry made his mark spelunking down the darkest caverns of what had become a reinvigorated secret government. He chased the illicit aid to the contra rebels in Nicaragua and the byzantine operations of a bank called BCCI, a sort of international ATM for black ops. And he did so alone, as far outside in the clubby world of the Senate as he ever had been in Massachusetts. "This was a bad case of bubonic plague," says Jack Blum, Kerry's investigator through those years. One prominent Democratic senator tried to sabotage Kerry's investigations, and the Republicans, riding Ronald Reagan's popularity, went after him as harshly as the Nixon people ever did. In fact, it is a kind of unprecedented historical parlay that John Kerry's name appears both on Nixon's White House tapes and in the notebooks of Oliver North. For Kerry, the investigations were pure reform politics, but they also were leavened with a respect for what happens when people are tricked away from their investment in their government. "It's antithetical to everything we are," he explains. "A government with secrets is accountable; a secret government is not. And when that happens, the American people are cheated of what is rightly theirs."

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New slightly O/T; might make you feel better
TPM reports this account of Obama and Boehner, taken from the WSJ:
Mr. Obama repeatedly lost patience with the speaker as negotiations faltered. In an Oval Office meeting last week, he told Mr. Boehner that if the sides didn’t reach agreement, he would use his inaugural address and his State of the Union speech to tell the country the Republicans were at fault.

At one point, according to notes taken by a participant, Mr. Boehner told the president, “I put $800 billion [in tax revenue] on the table. What do I get for that?”

“You get nothing,” the president said. “I get that for free.”
http://talkingpoints...ing.php?ref=fpblg

cordially,

Edit: It was suggested over at Balloon Juice that Obama then added: “Not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally.”
Expand Edited by rcareaga Dec. 22, 2012, 01:50:13 PM EST
     He did it again... - (hnick) - (2)
         OTOH. - (Another Scott)
         slightly O/T; might make you feel better - (rcareaga)

That'll be $8.50, Mac.
113 ms