IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A crutch
You can do this. It works. It's a good thing to know about (also a useful thing to keep in mind when ls or rm commands fail to performa as expected). But it's a crutch.

Better: use, and learn the use of, an effective version control system, and backups.

The problem with crutches are that you come to depend on them. At some point, you'll find yourself in one of two situations: there is no crutch (you're elsewhere, without it), or it's been kicked out from under you (someone's removed the '-i' file), and you'll make a mistake. Better learn to live without it.
--

Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]

What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New 100% Correct
Moreover, it will hork exec clauses in find commands. It's a terrible idea.
New - - (dash dash)
DeSitter notes that oddly named files can interfere with other directory-access commands (eg: find). I made a similar observation regarding 'ls' and 'rm' commands being borked by dash files.

This can usually be circumvented by trailing a command with a '--' (that'a double-dash), particularly when giving a wildcard or otherwise expanded filelist as arguments. In many shell tools, a double-dash without arguments indicates end of arguments. Exceptions prove the rule, naturally. In startx, a double-dash seperates client and server options.
--

Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]

What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
     Unix at its worst - (Arkadiy) - (21)
         Oh, good idea! -NT - (jlalexander)
         That freakin' rocks! - (Yendor)
         Why not simply create a background process - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
             Good Admin = Lack of Hacks - (deSitter)
         A crutch - (kmself) - (2)
             100% Correct - (deSitter) - (1)
                 - - (dash dash) - (kmself)
         Sounds unnecessarily complicated. - (pwhysall) - (12)
             Better, But Also Bad - (deSitter) - (11)
                 Agree - (pwhysall)
                 Just thinkin... - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     Triumph of the practical over the Pure? - (Ashton) - (8)
                         That extra [Y] - unacceptable. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                             Re: That extra [Y] - unacceptable. - (cforde) - (1)
                                 OK disable w/scripts natch. But: 'self-destruct CR'?____:[ -NT - (Ashton)
                             Not really. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                 Personally.. prefer: wombat foo. Nice ring to it - -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     Re: Personally..., I prefer: foo man choo. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                         LRPD settles All! - (Ashton)
                                         Hey! That's my other alternate personality! - (tseliot)
         much better way - (boxley)

Halfway between the gutter and the stars.
85 ms