IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You gotta be kidding!

It isn’t very often a ceramic coffee mug is recalled, but “Homer’s All-Purpose Bucket” mug sold at The Home Depot since October could pose a fire hazard.

http://www.nbcnews.c...-hazard-1C7423682

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Not at all
About time they started paying attention to this.

Most people have no idea there are a variety of dyes (or pieces of metal) in cookware that make them very dangerous. These absorb the microwaves as well as the food, sometimes far more, and get incredibly hot.

If you are used to grabbing plates out of the microwave, when you grab one of these you can sear yourself.

I have a bunch of plates and bowls, all of which claim to be microwavable, but many of them use these dyes and it is obvious they should never go in the microwave. Even when I attempt to explain, people poo-poo it, tell me the food is getting hot, and I should shut up. I like these people too much to merely back off since it IS dangerous.
New but that isn't the issue.
Nuking a plate or bowl for several minutes will allow the material to be heated up to a point that can burn human skin. Everyone agrees on that.

The ceramic mug, by itself, is not a fire hazard since it won't catch fire in the microwave. If you can set a ceramic mug on fire then that's news to me. Maybe they mean the sparking can catch the mug's coating on fire, but the article doesn't say.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New The metal can arc and spark and melt the ceiling
I've done tests on a variety of substances.
So in this case, it is easily the metal.

I wasn't talking about heat transfer as far as the bowls or plates. In some cases, the plate (especially the edges with the pretty stuff) get VERY got, far hotter than the food.
New Sounds like there is a good market niche
Make true microwave safe dishes and such and then advertize the hell out of how safe they are.
I think the single most compelling piece of evidence for global warming is that Fox News viewers think it's a hoax.
     You gotta be kidding! - (lincoln) - (4)
         Not at all - (crazy) - (3)
             but that isn't the issue. - (lincoln) - (2)
                 The metal can arc and spark and melt the ceiling - (crazy) - (1)
                     Sounds like there is a good market niche - (Silverlock)

[C:\]_
85 ms