IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New PC trouble shooting suggestions?
I have been trying to fix a PC that belongs to the village. After our recent power outage it wouldn't power up. Sometimes it would try for a few seconds and stop or more often just sit there. It had a 350 watt ATX power supply in it and the 3.3v tested low to non-existent. I replaced it with a similar unit which tests good. It was a simple R&R; I only had to remove the CPU heat sink to get the old unit out and the new unit in. The heat sink is the older model that have the 4 clips on the bottom and two levers on the top. Now I get green lights on the motherboard but it doesn't even try to power up. Any suggestions on what I look at next?
Thanks,
Hugh
New Sometimes they act weird when the CMOS battery dies.
If the PS has had issues for a while, the battery may be dead too. That can sometimes cause weird problems.

Can you short the "clear BIOS" jumper and/or replace the button battery? The battery is often a 2032 (20 mm diameter, ~ 3.2V).

(If it had to do with the heat sink, I would think that you would have some time before the CPU got too hot and shut down, so I don't think that's the main problem.)

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Larger caliber?
--

Drew
New Pull all boards and connectors
Start with just the mobo and power it up. If that does not produce some kind of beeping complaint, the board and/or the CPU are done. (Did you replace the thermal grease/pad before replacing the heatsink? If not, you can try that and see if it brings the CPU back, but it may be too late.)

If you got beeps: add the video card. Continue by adding the RAM back in, one stick at a time. Test all the slots. After that, add any remaining boards, one at a time.

Lastly, reconnect the drives, also one at a time.
     PC trouble shooting suggestions? - (hnick) - (3)
         Sometimes they act weird when the CMOS battery dies. - (Another Scott)
         Larger caliber? -NT - (drook)
         Pull all boards and connectors - (scoenye)

Whoops, this one's a bit vulgar.
39 ms