IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If those PCs are old enough...
When the i845 chipset was young, it came with driver support for 4:3 resolutions up to 1280x1024. By the time the current crop of widescreen LCD displays came around, the OEMs had lost interest in providing updates. The result is pretty much what you describe. The boxes I'm thinking of would be Optiplex GX260 vintage.

If you can/want to try, grab the last driver update straight from Intel. They did add support for things like 1440x900 later on.
New but but but...
Linux has updated drivers for i845 chipsets...

Funny that.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New That's why it took some headscratching to sort out ;-)
New Re: If those PCs are old enough...
Indeed, 1440 x 900 is the maximum res, and no 4:3 option is provided. "Grab the last driver update straight from Intel?" My dear fellow, there are elementary system settings (like...changing our fucking wallpaper) that are reserved for the Tech Guy alone. There are others still (I can't remember the specific setting, but the realization made my jaw drop) that again you'd assume would be left to the end user that are forbidden even to the mighty Tech Guy, and can only be tweaked by the MIS folks back at the Mothership, three time zones away.

I don't call it BDS for nothing.

cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga Nov. 14, 2012, 12:52:08 AM EST
New I figured as much...
Hence the "can/want" phrasing. I'm just not as good at the prose as you are ;-)

But I just realized you mentioned Windows 7. That makes the obsolete driver problem a bit of a non-starter. I encountered the flattening on OEM XP installations. An OEM W7 box would be way younger than that and an upgrade from XP to W7 would have taken care of the old Intel driver.
     aspect ratio irritation at BDS - (rcareaga) - (7)
         Maybe my earlier experience will help figure it out. - (Another Scott)
         Will they notice? Why should they? - (drook)
         If those PCs are old enough... - (scoenye) - (4)
             but but but... - (folkert) - (1)
                 That's why it took some headscratching to sort out ;-) -NT - (scoenye)
             Re: If those PCs are old enough... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 I figured as much... - (scoenye)

This country was built on the hope that one day we could all own a Batcave.
65 ms