IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New don't get me wrong:
I'm grateful. Deeply grateful. I merely don't understand why the a-href technology that appeared to be part of the furniture ten years ago is now regarded as something like going back to the moon, even though it remains a commonplace convention elsewhere on the internets. I have no technical competence to weigh in on the issues here. I ask only why, in layman's terms, what we took for granted in 2002 is not feasible in 2012. Explain that and I will not raise my paw again.

cordially,
New I already explained it, but in plainer terms:
I. Cannot. Be. Arsed.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Then I accept
...that the technical impedimenta as previously set forth soar over my understanding, and will not enquire again. Too bad about the lost functionality, though, and too bad that you boffins can no longer summon up your former powers.

cordially,
New Non-expert's summary:
My recollection of the story:

Zope was the framework that the old version of the software was built-on. It enabled a lot of functionality reasonably quickly and easily. Zope is written in Python and can be extended by Python.

But Zope changed over the years and became fragile with respect to upgrades. So it became too painful to upgrade the IWT software as too much stuff broke during version upgrades.

Then there were some hardware issues and it became difficult/impossible to restore the old software.

So Scott and Mike rewrote the basic functionality in Java. There was no comparable framework that could be put underneath the custom code easily, so we lost things like embedded links and images and WeeCodes and so forth. It's not "hard" to add the functionality if one is starting from scratch, in principle, but having it work with the history we have here (that used a different database interface, etc.) wouldn't be trivial (I don't think).

All of us only have so many hours in the day, and we won't get those hours back. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New It's not difficult at all.
But it would involve several hours of coding and testing, more than I'm willing to invest at this point.

I already blew my budget for this year on writing the import scripts to merge the new and old databases, for that matter.
Regards,
-scott
New It's very much appreciated. Thank you. :-)
New What budget?
And could we raise enough for you and/or Mike to finish it... PAID?

For that matter, I'd support/pay a couple of hours myself.
Expand Edited by folkert Sept. 30, 2012, 08:51:08 PM EDT
New Here's the thing:
As soon as I start accepting money for working on it, I become beholden to the people paying the money. Right now I can just say, meh, screw it, I've got better things to do. Or if I want to work on it some, I can pick what to work on, and how to do it.

Not that I couldn't use the income right now. I'm just not ready to go that far for it. ;-)
Regards,
-scott
New Re: Here's the thing:
On the verge of sounding dumb...

How is it me saying here take this money and make it work better, you being beholden to me.

I won't make payment requiring certain milestones. I'm not managing the project. I just saying... here, take my effing money and make this work better.

Even if you improve the thing in imperceptible ways (and YES, I'm a 100% kind of job of that type)... its still worth the friggin money to me.

You gotta remember, I'm all about working better... perhaps not functionality improvements, but work-ability means more to me than most.
New Re: Here's the thing:
I believe that, over the past N number of years, Scott and I have shown an AMAZING unwillingness to take anyone's money for this site. At this point, it's a pet project; a side project. We both have other things that take up far more of our time, and I honestly don't think that either of us -- individually or together -- are willing, ready, or able to sink more time into the code for the foreseeable future.

It's not the world's greatest piece of forum software. But by and large, it works. And that's good enough.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New That is it.
I ain't gots no problem with it. Just making sure it wasn't anything else, as if it *WAS* a money thing... I'd make sure we could deal with it.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Were you ever going to put the source code up?
It is a rather unique piece of software, after all. I'd like to install it locally and see what I could do with it. (Probably sometime around 2015 when I find some copious free time.)

Wade.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
New One main problem:
Passwords. We need to scrub it first to make sure there isn't something tucked away.
Regards,
-scott
New Yeah yeah
Admit it, you've lost it.

And the source code.

ba-dum tish

Try the veal.
New ...
You here all week?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New *ponders translating all of pwhysall's posts into boxlish...
Regards,
-scott
New Rhyming slang filter?
--

Drew
New There's an idea...
But I'll have to make it read the posts aloud so Peter can be fully subjected to a Dick Van Dyke accent.
Regards,
-scott
New Oh dear oh dear... that old chestnut...
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     Testing testing - (mvitale) - (38)
         Is this thing on? - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Can we post graphics again? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 This is the same codebase that my server runs - (mvitale) - (1)
                     I suspected as much. Thankee. -NT - (Another Scott)
         linky testing - (rcareaga) - (22)
             Once again... - (mvitale) - (1)
                 WeeCodes? - (folkert)
             Because ease of implementation... - (malraux) - (19)
                 don't get me wrong: - (rcareaga) - (18)
                     I already explained it, but in plainer terms: - (malraux) - (17)
                         Then I accept - (rcareaga) - (16)
                             Non-expert's summary: - (Another Scott) - (15)
                                 It's not difficult at all. - (malraux) - (14)
                                     It's very much appreciated. Thank you. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     What budget? - (folkert) - (12)
                                         Here's the thing: - (malraux) - (11)
                                             Re: Here's the thing: - (folkert) - (2)
                                                 Re: Here's the thing: - (mvitale) - (1)
                                                     That is it. - (folkert)
                                             Were you ever going to put the source code up? - (static) - (7)
                                                 One main problem: - (malraux) - (6)
                                                     Yeah yeah - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                         ... - (folkert)
                                                         *ponders translating all of pwhysall's posts into boxlish... -NT - (malraux) - (2)
                                                             Rhyming slang filter? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                                 There's an idea... - (malraux)
                                                     Oh dear oh dear... that old chestnut... -NT - (static)
         lrpd.gif is missing. -NT - (folkert) - (10)
             Not for me. -NT - (malraux) - (9)
                 Apparently not anymore for me... - (folkert) - (8)
                     No... it's been there since the server came up. -NT - (malraux) - (7)
                         Ok. - (folkert) - (6)
                             You probably hit one of the server bounces - (malraux) - (5)
                                 I was wondering why I was having to login eleventy times. ;) -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                     Yep, that too. - (malraux) - (3)
                                         You are rockin' - (folkert) - (2)
                                             :-) -NT - (malraux)
                                             +5, Like. -NT - (static)

The key; The whole key; And nothing but the key. So help me Codd.
86 ms