IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Naah, that's just an ad - think I've seen it often recently.
It seems the _Reg_ is selling "branded locations", or whatchamacallit, for their ads: Whenever an article is on a certain subject, it gets an ad from a certain advertiser to accompany it. Has anybody else noticed how every article on telecom for the last month or two has had those big red Vodafone banners[*] both across and down the left side? IBM "branding" every _Reg_ "Web Services" seems rather natural... And, yes -- in this context -- funny, too.

[*]: Do they do anything funny on your machines? On mine, they're just big sheets of solid red -- but they eat processor power like crazy! Yes, I *am* sure of this. I have repeatedly done the "right-click, open-in-new-window" dance on a bunch of _Reg_ articles, seen my machine slow down via "Molasses" to "Glacial", and gotten it back speed by (reading and) closing only those _Reg_ browser windows that had the Vodafone ad. Just leaving them open -- even minimized! -- has heated up my work laptop so its little fan had to sound like a freeaking overloaded jet at take-off; close 'em, and the virulent green of the Task Manager tray icon goes back down to about zero where it ususally is, and the fan too shuts down after a while. WTF is it they're trying to do, play some stupid Craptive-X animation or something?
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Went there with filters off..
LH side ad gave a broken icon, so I opened it in new window - which was addressed to "ad.doubleclick.net" + Reg yada. Alas [for It] *That* POS is in my hosts file, so automatically ---> purgatory, thus I couldn't see phenom. I did.. notice that, during this trial - the 'loading stripe' in task-bar was moving a bit slower than usual. (But that wouldn't reflect its doing 16M polygons/sec and stuff.)

Nothing appeared on RH side of column.

Hmmm..

Disgruntled Finnish laptop user sues ad.doubleclick for trashing its CPU. Angry mob with torches ties up traffic, carries risque signs.. something about a Back Orifice..
     Is M$ trying to chill the internet marketplace? - (bbronson) - (11)
         Right. - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
             Hey, this may be a good thing! - (jb4) - (2)
                 Y.M, "...is NOT the only one who...", right? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Right... - (jb4)
         Maybe a little of both - (jb4) - (2)
             Re: Gartner said last year, MS had plan but no substance - (dmarker2) - (1)
                 Oooh - that is so sneaky of IBM! But I like it. -NT - (static)
         DID you guys take a close look at the Register's header ??? - (dmarker2) - (3)
             Noticed but ignored; assumed advertisement - (bbronson)
             Naah, that's just an ad - think I've seen it often recently. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Went there with filters off.. - (Ashton)

Then again, I think our walls are made from the salvaged hulls of exotic alien spacecraft so YMMV.
63 ms