IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Still a slam against Microsoft
The appeals court has, in this ruling, completely affirmed the findings of fact and entirely denied Microsoft any review of and/or change of those findings.

Which leaves, as before, the only thing to reconsider: the remedy. And it's my hope that the new remedy goes beyond the limp split into two.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Shot across the bow...
Apparently the CoA has been reading the papers.

"Nothing in the court's opinion is intended to preclude the District Court's consideration of remedy issues."

So.... a breakup is *still* on the table, and that had to be a message to Microsoft.

Addison
New Microsoft will now probably appeal . .
. . to the Supreme Court. They don't stand a firefly's chance in a blast furnace of getting that appeal (the Supremes got exactly what they wanted out of the CoA), but what they want is enough delays to get XP out the door. They figure the courts will have a hard time pulling it back once it's out there.

The risks may actually be much higher than they calculate. They still think courts bow to market pressure. Suppose they sell XP for three months and the courts say, "drain the channel and stop shipping".

Now a whole lot of companies have a few XP machines incompatible with everything else, and no ability to upgrade the rest of their inventory. What does this do to Microsoft's reputation as a reliable vendor and "the safe choice"?

What does Compaq do with all those "built for XP" stickers and boxes?

Further, they can't stop the advertising. Magazines will be publishing ads for a non-shipping product for months, and Microsoft will have to pay for all of them. How embarrassing.

What if business sees this possibility and holds off on buying PCs until they can be sure of a steady supply of XP?

Cap'n Ahab has returned and driven home a harpoon with an explosive warhead, but the white whale is cruising as if nothing has changed.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I hope the courts do take notice of market pressure
specifically M$'s illegal monopoly pressure on their competitors and really socks it to them -- and I think the outcome very well might be worse for MS than TPJ's! (I hope so).

Tony
New Re: Microsoft will now probably appeal . .
Further, they can't stop the advertising. Magazines will be publishing ads for a non-shipping product for months, and Microsoft will have to pay for all of them. How embarrassing.

And how is this any different from them front-advertising their vaporware? :)
-YendorMike

In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New Expected (not as embarassing)?
BTW, the LRPDism for this was:
And that's not all!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New For me it was:
Ignore the man behind the curtain!
Regards,

-scott anderson
New I got:
Go into the light!

Does this mean they're already dead? :-)
-----
Steve
     CoA rules... - (Yendor) - (8)
         Still a slam against Microsoft - (wharris2) - (7)
             Shot across the bow... - (addison)
             Microsoft will now probably appeal . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 I hope the courts do take notice of market pressure - (tonytib)
                 Re: Microsoft will now probably appeal . . - (Yendor) - (3)
                     Expected (not as embarassing)? - (imric) - (2)
                         For me it was: - (admin) - (1)
                             I got: - (Steve Lowe)

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul. Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
71 ms