IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Freezing temp but...?
A while back I played around with freezing some pork chops in a marinate consisting mostly of vodka.

They didn't freeze right away. There was too much alcohol. After about 2-3 days, they got pretty slushy. I think the juices from the meat were diluting the alcohol to the point of making a mixture with a freezing point in the range of my freezer.

After about a week, I chickened out on long-term storage and ate the results. Tasty. Marinating for a week is very nice. Not identifiable (to my taste and mouth feel) as having been frozen. I don't actually dislike frozen meat, but I can tell the difference, and all else being equal I slightly prefer meat that has not been frozen. Local farm meat bought by the quarter is almost all frozen, but blows "fresh" grocery store meat away.

Any thoughts on the preservation of meat that way? Could I have stored it much longer safely?
---------------------------------------
In the dessert, you can't remember your name
New Don't know about with alcohol - but . . .
. . salt cured meats like ham are not fully frozen due to the salt. Maximum freezer compartment storage is a month or so before rancidity starts to become noticeable.

When I freeze meat I cut it as thin as possible given the intended use, usually 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. I spread it out in a single layer unwrapped in the freezer compartment. This way it freezes as quickly as possible, minimizing damage from ice crystal growth. Then I bag it. The faster if freezes the less it is damaged.
     Freezing temp but...? - (mhuber) - (1)
         Don't know about with alcohol - but . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Does this make any sense to you?
33 ms