IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't know about you, but I give up.
Ok, Box, you are right. The entire climate thing is a hoax. You are just to smart to get one past you. You are right and everybody else is wrong. Will you please shut up about it now?
It's too fucking hot to argue about it.
New His argument is a bit more subtle...
As I understand his argument:

1) It was hotter in the past when humans weren't burning as much stuff as now.

2) It was hotter in the past when there weren't any humans(, at least if you believe the scientists and not what the Bible says).

3) Scientists and politicians want to tax everyone, reward their cronies, get rich, punish their enemies, make the people poor, prevent the truth from getting out, and destroy capitalism for ideological reasons. See "None Dare Call it Conspiracy" for the details. Don't believe stuff you may read about "tragedy of the commons" or "pricing externalities" or "the cost of protecting oil in the Persian gulf".

4) Humans have only changed the CO2 concentration a tiny amount (~ 150 ppm) since industrialization. Elementary logic tells us that small things don't matter.

5) Computer models are always wrong in the details, therefore the climate models are wrong.

6) It was cold somewhere last week, therefore the IPCC and James Hansen are wrong.

7) Some website run by someone with a degree in a scientific topic said that it found a mistake in a paper written by world experts on Earth's climate, therefore the paper is wrong and therefore anthropogenic climate change is wrong. He can't get his rebuttal published because of the conspiracy mentioned in #3.

8) Someone on a mailing list said they were working a "trick" to "hide the decline" - proof that "climate change" is conspiracy just like he said.

9) People who devote their lives to researching a topic are suspect - they're too self-interested in finding the "correct" result. That's why it's important that lay-people with no training or expertise in the topic are treated as better authorities. Similarly, when one has asbestos in one's house and needs to do renovations that disturb it, it's important to hire a couple of guys from the Geeks Squad to do the repairs because experts in asbestos abatement are too self-interested.

10) Burning trees is exactly the same as burning oil and coal that were laid down millions of years ago. There's no way to tell them apart, therefore one can't point to evidence of changes in the isotopes in the atmosphere to prove anything. The rate of change in burning oil and coal and burning wood over the last 200 years doesn't mean anything either. The Earth is a big place and nothing humans do make much difference.

11) Soot particles and SO4(2-) ions will save us. Acid raid wasn't a big deal. Lung cancer and respiratory disease isn't a big deal. The "killer fog of '52" was a hoax. Volcanoes will save us.

12) The sun changes over time, the Earth's orbit has changed over time, etc. And yet there have been ice ages and warm periods. What's a couple of degrees increase in 100 years, and more in the next hundred years? Who cares if that's an eye-blink in the Earth's history? Who cares if it will cost trillions of dollars to move cities away from the coasts, that prime farmland is being destroyed, that many food crops cannot tolerate elevated temperatures overnight, that animals are being forced to rapidly move large areas as their habitat changes, that some animals require cold in part of their life cycle? It's no big deal - just scare mongering. And besides, we can't do anything about it anyway, not if I want to have the Freedom(® Tea Party) to drive my F-350 to work every day, and if oil and coal companies are to continue to dominate total employment in the world[*].

13) Algore is fat.

Therefore, anthropogenic climate change is wrong and a hoax. ;-)

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
[*] ~ 6.5 million total coal and oil jobs in the world, according to this: http://www.greenpeac...-jobs-to-2030.pdf
New Very nice synopsis
but it's too fucking hot to argue with an intelligent person pretending to be a moron.
Let him win and be done with it. Or cover his bridge with billy goats, but they'd hate the heat...
New :-)
New I guess more than one...
person has noticed this.

I tried to help him stop...

It just doesn't work, because he can't or won't help himself.
New 3, they preach it from every media outlet that will listen
and people who buy that paying bazillions to these guys will reduce temps 2 degrees or at all are dupes.
Al Gore may be fat but he is making money on 3.

I may have a nice little bridge to live under but when the "Oh my gawd its never been like this before" muzzeins start wailing from their minarets for the faithful to pray and donate I go "wait a minute, no its not" and prove it. When the prayer wheels start whirling and the ooommeisters start chanting "the seas will rise and flood our cities, donate now" I post that, "so, its happened many times in the past, start thinking about population movement" When the high priests start nailing mann to the cross and proclaim "They tried to kill our dearest entrail diviner so assign all yer shekels to us" I go "yeah, his math was screwed up" get him to straighten it out.

The fact that it has been this hot before in your parents lifetime doesnt matter to any of you

Nother you argued that the medieval warming period never existed because you bought into the story.

Climate change can be modeled all that you like but as the real scientists who study this will tell you that they dont have enough information to accurately model. All you guys ever hear about are the professional doom and gloomers and hawk the IPPC like you didnt know that it was a political body making a political statement for political gain

Is climate change real? yes. Can we do much of anything to stop or change it? Not really. All we can do is mitigate

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New You realize the people you support don't say that
Is climate change real? yes. Can we do much of anything to stop or change it? Not really.

The people you keep quoting don't say that. They say that climate change isn't real. But you keep quoting them.
--

Drew
New you mean the scientist that started the gaia movement?
The other scientists that study the sun? Most of the people I quote claim that co2 forcing doesnt have the effect claimed by the politicians. They dont deny that were are entering a warming period similar to the medieval warming period or the post glacial warming period.
Have a free question. If all human emitted co2 stopped today how many degrees would the earth cool and how long would it take?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New As to Gaia (or Gaea or ... )
It's not a physical-science idea at all, though one can hang lots of physical factoids around the concept..
As 'it' is a metaphysical metaphor, it also has no 'Experts' to Authoritatively parse what is inferred. As with any metaphor.
(And however the Gaia cognomen reached some critical mass and became Noticed by masses--it just wasn't "invented by some odious 'scientist', cha cha cha.")

Sorry, Charlie: Sunkist™ doesn't want tuna with good taste; it wants tuna that taste good--try That on your AI machine?
New If I wanted tuna that tasted good I would date more
     dc heat nearing record - (boxley) - (11)
         Heh. Oh... - (Another Scott) - (10)
             Don't know about you, but I give up. - (hnick) - (9)
                 His argument is a bit more subtle... - (Another Scott) - (8)
                     Very nice synopsis - (hnick) - (2)
                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         I guess more than one... - (folkert)
                     3, they preach it from every media outlet that will listen - (boxley) - (4)
                         You realize the people you support don't say that - (drook) - (3)
                             you mean the scientist that started the gaia movement? - (boxley) - (2)
                                 As to Gaia (or Gaea or ... ) - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     If I wanted tuna that tasted good I would date more -NT - (boxley)

Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I'll BEAT YOU WITH until you realize who's in command.
78 ms