IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Those of you with free time, I need your help.
Ok. Keenspot has started to accept pop-up ads on some sites, however on others (like Help Desk and GPF), they are keeping those ads off.

However, some are still showing up on my site -- some readers mention that it happens most often when they use the "back" button on the IE browser (how is that not surprising?)

I need to be able to track these down so I can send specific instances to the beleagured Keenspot techs.

I am told that if you grab the html source of a page spawning these damned ads, you can find ad codes in there that will help you track down those ads. There may be even better ways of doing it -- I don't know.

Can some of you give me some advice for tracking these down? If any of you want to kill time browsing through my archives looking for popups, that'd be great too, but I realize that's not really an effective way of spending your time at work.

Thanks for any help/advice you can send my way...
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New We of the Eviscerati salute thee..
[link|http://www.ubersoft.net/features/bothbarrels/20010820.html|Chris joins Studs Terkel]

..in underscoring Studs' famous remark.. ..today there are lots of communications; damn little communication.

OK.. after some chores n'such, will see how many filters I need to disable to invite a &*%*$ Pop-Up (haven't seen One yet - locked-down as well as I can locksmith).

In the past I may have seen one of these phantom invisible pages - drawn to such by noticing "a few pixels" in a square - right-click revealed some noxious name, but WWasher seemed to have left it there, all impotent and all..

Maybe some of your readers are still browsing NAKED ? A word about filters, and at least Zone Alarm for the Windoze group - in order, on the site? (Though that may conflict with the normal ads which Keenspot prolly needs to survive. Nothing is simple any more..) At least Moz .9.x has its own Pop-Up Eater - maybe mentioning That fact is less er.. fraught with implications than advocating general filtering (which defaults to pretty much all ads zapped).

Bet we all spend more time now, defending rather than 'enabling' - such is the MBA-IQ of the typ. mercantile mind: they *Would* rather piss us all off than - have their tawdry little BS-message ignored. It all started with the first #1 Piss-Off Ad of all time:

ANACIN... FOR

fast.. Fast.. FAST! EFFECTIVE! RELIEF

It's been all downhill, ever since..

Ashton
New None found yet...
But from some time on, episodes in the archive write extra SCRIPT tags as the page is loaded. Those tags run scripts on ad.keenspace.com: "adserv5.js?helpdesk" and "adserv10.js?helpdesk". My suspicion is that the erroneous pop-ups originate there, so sending in the HTML of the cartoon pages will be of little use.
New gah.
you're probably right. I need them to send me the source of the ads themselves.

"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
     Those of you with free time, I need your help. - (cwbrenn) - (3)
         We of the Eviscerati salute thee.. - (Ashton)
         None found yet... - (scoenye) - (1)
             gah. - (cwbrenn)

Opportunities are rarely good news.
51 ms