and she is the sole beneficiary of my life insurance policy. I can change that at any time, if I so choose. And she can take out a policy on me, without my knowledge, because she has a vested interest in me as the finanical provider for her and her children. If we divorce, I can have that information brought out into the open, and I can even demand that the policy be turned over to me.

One thing that I think the story alludes to is the possibility that the policies stay in effect EVEN AFTER you leave Wal-Mart's employ. Why should they profit from your death, when they no longer have any type of attachment to you as an individual? Don't forget, they got caught lying to a widow, first about even having the policy, and then secondly, about the value of the policy.

Oh, and what about the TAX BREAK they received by taking out a life insurance policy on an employee? It may be legal from an accounting standpoint, but it sure is (to me) unethical to reduce your bottom line by insuring an employee without telling him/her and not provoding any benefits to the widow when it comes time to cash in.