Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A few more:
*) Then - than

*) "Would of"

OK, so that's only two...
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New You keep missing my favorite:
"Irregardless"

(Sounds like something you do in a field in New Mexico...)
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New OK, how about this one, then: "That's do to..."
New Sorry, Don't know that one...
...must be in an "English" dialext with which I'm not familiar (or, that I'm not familiar with...).
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Merkin, more than Real English. Must be pronounciation...
...that leads 'em wrong; AFAICS this must be "do" to the word 'due' sounding like 'doo' in (at least many variants of) Merkin, wheras in Real English it's more like 'dyou'. Kinda like 'noo' vs 'nyew', in e.g, Noo Yahk.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New It's up there with 'ironical'

On a fairly unrelated noted - an observation rather than a whinge, I guess.

Colin Powell's been in the media a lot lately - the funny thing is that many Australian broadcasters are convinced his name is 'Colon' Powell... which in oz is very different pronunciation to Colin.

Are our broadcasters being reverential (in following his(or is it?) American pronunciation of the name) or ignorant (for not realising Colin is pronouncd Colin, fercryingoutloud...) ? I mean, they don't say 'George Dubya Bush' when speaking of the US president...they pronounce the W with it's proper three syllables.

Edit: Just remembered the whole ':' Powell thing...
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
Expand Edited by Meerkat April 25, 2002, 10:23:23 PM EDT
New Yup - the ":" indicates it's aberrant here, too. 'Call-in'
     It is SPEECH dammit, not SPEACH -NT - (altmann) - (40)
         would you like frys with yer whine :) -NT - (boxley)
         You're fighting a "loosing" battle!!! -NT - (ChrisR) - (2)
             kneadnt start a pun war -NT - (boxley)
             Get it "rite". "Your" fighting a "loosing" battle! -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Holy fucking shit, man, you think *that* is bad??? - (CRConrad) - (25)
             semi litterate, half trained cat :) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 'Xackly my point! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Nit. - (static)
                     "litt\ufffdrature" IIRC (!) ____ Oops: should be under CRC's -NT - (Ashton)
             Re: Holy fucking shit, man, you think *that* is bad??? - (pwhysall) - (8)
                 Yeah, but the Rat-Man already covered that, above. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                     I fink pronunciation gets on my goat more - (Meerkat) - (6)
                         Its a sports thing, of course... - (jb4) - (1)
                             Knit be-eng piccoloed hear.... - (folkert)
                         Bushed! - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                             Eisenhower did it too, though. No indicator re - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 It's NUK-UH-LEHR -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             Umm? Didn't Carter have the same mispronounciation? - (Silverlock)
             Dessert instead of desert... - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                 Here's an obsure one. - (static) - (8)
                     About "you" versus "thee" - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                         Perhaps. - (static) - (6)
                             No 'perhaps' about it - here's a third "source": - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                 I meant "perhaps he already told us". - (static) - (4)
                                     Nice collecto-mania... :-) "Descriptive phrases"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         Personally.. I miss pre-Norman 'schweinehund' (sp?) -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Descriptive Phrases. - (static) - (1)
                                             A, I C... "Kennings", as they're called in Old Norse. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 & vice versa, of course - who wants a sand cake for pudding? - (CRConrad)
                 Why do you think I said "It is..." ? :) -NT - (altmann)
         It's "Ridiculous", not "Rediculous", dammit! -NT - (wharris2) - (1)
             Ah, yes! "DefinAtely" one of those that eluded me yesterday. -NT - (CRConrad)
         A few more: - (CRConrad) - (6)
             You keep missing my favorite: - (jb4) - (5)
                 OK, how about this one, then: "That's do to..." -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Sorry, Don't know that one... - (jb4) - (1)
                         Merkin, more than Real English. Must be pronounciation... - (CRConrad)
                 It's up there with 'ironical' - (Meerkat) - (1)
                     Yup - the ":" indicates it's aberrant here, too. 'Call-in' -NT - (Ashton)
         Someone's clearly been reading... - (kmself)

Resume Legal Speed.
160 ms