IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Idea!
Why don't you create a Bicycle powered power supply for a computer. That way you can peddle the power and have a UPS for backup just in case you fall behind, don't want to lose that data. Then just ride the bike to provide the power. Just a thought.

I'm getting larger as well. 7 Years ago I was like 185, now I am 270+ just about. But the last year I was sick and I was able to lose a few, gain a few, then I got really sick and lost nearly 50 pounds and then gained it back again. The trick, apparently, is to keep them off. I've tried brisk walking, watching what I eat, etc.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Kids and TV
Wasn't there an experiment recently where some children were required to use an exercise bike so they could watch TV?

*rummage aroun din Google*

Yes, [link|http://sincentral.jrn.columbia.edu/sloth/sloth2.html|here's an experiment]. The bonus with computer, or perhaps just with laptops, is like you say the energy could be used to power them.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Nuther idea ....
Since getting hit by a car on my bicycle 11 months ago and almost buying the farm, I've started exercising and running and I've dropped from upper 180s at one point to 145 currently. I'm just under 5'7" and I feel great at this weight. So don't wait for a traumatic event -- you can do it now and it's worth it. The only downside was that a year and a half ago I had finally given up, after 15 years of steady weight gain, on ever really getting back to a fit weight and I gave a closet-full of clothes away -- I had to re-buy a whole new wardrobe.

Now that I got my bragging out of the way, back to the idea thing. I can't stand stationary bikes and treadmills and stuff, so I always waited to go out and run or bike on the street -- which takes some effort to plan and is pretty easy to postpone endlessly.

An idea I had a few years ago is to combine a video game back end with an exercise machine front end/user interface so that for example you get to go faster/fly higher/avoid obstacles/whatever depending on how hard you pedal or row or whatever on the exercise machine. Biking in techno-punk traffic, racing pedal-powered airplanes through tight mountain or high-rise terrain, landing a row boat through big surf, even puzzle and first-person shooter type games where part of the control comes from your physical activity input -- the possibilities are endless...

Somebody do this! Would anybody here want to work out in a gym/video arcade setting? Can you beat the guy next to you delivering courier packages through murderous traffic? Can your team's triremes outmanoeuver and ram your opponents'? How many real or fantasy game settings can you envision for human-power controlled vehicles? Would it make sense to fly a fire-breathing dragon via a rowing-machine interface?

Giovanni
New I've seen something like this...
There's a couple games at our local Gameworks (they had a job fair there, I went, it was a total bust except for the 1hr free game cards they were handing out - I scored about 5, gave four of them to a friend who actually likes arcade games.) that are very similar to some of your descriptions. First off, there's Dance Dance Revolution - that game can actually get quite areobic at some of the higher skill levels. There were also some "pedal" games that featured a pedal-powered gyrocopter, the faster you pedaled, the faster you went on screen. Didn't try that one.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
     IWETHEY Lardies - (boxley) - (37)
         It doesn't help what we do for a living. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             You get to sit down? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 You should be a full time developer. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Full time developer - (orion)
         Present, but removing membership qualifications... - (ben_tilly)
         It's the *kind* of exercise - (Silverlock) - (3)
             *grin* Neccessary explanation. - (Meerkat) - (2)
                 I recall there's a nice hill to the station... -NT - (static) - (1)
                     Heh, a four minute walk doesn't really count. - (Meerkat)
         Idea! - (orion) - (3)
             Kids and TV - (Meerkat)
             Nuther idea .... - (GBert) - (1)
                 I've seen something like this... - (inthane-chan)
         210# and dropping. :-) - (inthane-chan) - (16)
             Anybody got any bodybuilding experience? - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                 Not much first-hand. - (Another Scott)
                 You want big arms and abs? - (boxley) - (5)
                     Not big, strong. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                         Heh, gives a whole new meaning to the term "benchmarketing"! -NT - (CRConrad)
                         Its the swing not the force - (boxley) - (2)
                             Used to do that for gramps. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 Baseball bat and heavy bag -NT - (boxley)
             Recommendation - (Mike) - (7)
                 Well my nipples sure don't hurt... - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                     Well I learned something new today -NT - (Mike)
                     Try the SCA - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         That's why I don't try them. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                             Less risk - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 You ought to see our eye protection... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     Ah - (ben_tilly)
         Hmmm - (Yendor) - (2)
             dont forget, lotsa B vitamins (liquid is best :)) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Too many - (Yendor)
         3 sets of 20 a day! - (boxley) - (1)
             Good stuff! It does seem much to this younger(ish) guy... -NT - (Meerkat)
         Slimming LARDy - (folkert)
         At work, we call it "The Slim Club" - (Arkadiy)

You know, because it might catch fire.
111 ms