IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Holy fucking shit, man, you think *that* is bad???
There's zillions of worse things that not only /.-kiddies, but you guys too (yeah, even you, "prof"), write all the time.

Enough to drive anybody above "semi-litterate" level up the fucking walls, it is.

So of course I can't think of any examples right now. :-(
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New semi litterate, half trained cat :)
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New 'Xackly my point!
I wish... But that was -- of-bloody-*course*, in a context like this -- a gen-you-wine mistrake.

In mitigation, I can only plead that the word 'litterature' (and its derivatives) is (are) actually spelt that way in all my other languages.

(Except possibly French; there, I can't even remember which way it is even now that I _think_ about it.)
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Nit.
You meant "gen-you-whine", dincha? :-)

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New "litt\ufffdrature" IIRC (!) ____ Oops: should be under CRC's
Expand Edited by Missing User 70 April 24, 2002, 04:21:31 PM EDT
New Re: Holy fucking shit, man, you think *that* is bad???
"loose" when what is meant is "lose".

I fucking HATE that.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Yeah, but the Rat-Man already covered that, above.
Must be why it was one of the few examples that actually occurred to me, too.

In writing, on the screen right in front of my nose.
   Christian R. Conrad
New I fink pronunciation gets on my goat more
There's so much poor spelling around it's almost useless trying to stop it. Of course, I spell impeccably, I just type poorly :-)

I guess this might be a bit oz-specific, but hearing words like 'vunnerable', 'skedule', 'dee-fence' tends to make me cringe.

Can't wait til I'm a crotchety old man who can accost youths in shopping malls and tell them how we learnt to speak properly in my day :-)
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Its a sports thing, of course...
They play "dee-fense" in Dee-troit.
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Knit be-eng piccoloed hear....
They play "dee-fense" in Dee-troit.

Cense when, did thay dew thaht??? Eye ain't sheen n-e laitlee! R0XX0R J00Z!

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
New Bushed!
"Nucular" really drives me up the wall. He has been saying it wrong for so long - it must be done on purpose. I can't believe there is not a single person in White House to tell W how to prononce "nuclear". What I can't figure out is why he ignores those hints.
New Eisenhower did it too, though. No indicator re
mental capacity per se. (There are other indications re That)

I thought Dubya's recent Petulance Dance (over a reporter speaking a few words in French, to the Fr. Prez IIRC) - more incendiary to sentient mammals than 'nukular'.

Here was OurPrez, behaving vehemently like.. a kid from Lord of the Flies !!

Oh well, "cheer up, things could be worse"
So I cheered up and -
New It's NUK-UH-LEHR
New Umm? Didn't Carter have the same mispronounciation?
Hell, Carter was a nuclear engineer.

What was Bush? Oh, that's right a failed businessman propped up by Daddy's Saudi buddys.

I think it's a southern thing.
"Do you have blacks too?"
The stupidest pResident in history to Brazilian President Fernando Henrique Cardoso
Expand Edited by Silverlock June 1, 2002, 02:29:32 AM EDT
New Dessert instead of desert...
It's instead of its.

etc

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Here's an obsure one.
"ye" is not an Old English word! Historians think it is a corruption of "\ufffde" (which is just "the") when people were searching for an "old worlde" word and didn't know that \ufffd was a valid character in the Old English language.

Wade.

New About "you" versus "thee"
An [link|http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?mas:3573:kkbeaakganiojkggkegg|amusing footnote] that I saw a long time ago.

I may have mentioned it before.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Perhaps.
I found the same information from another source. :-) 'Tis amusing.

Wade.

New No 'perhaps' about it - here's a third "source":
That's how the singular second-person personal pronoun looks in other Germanic[*] languages, too. Heck, even in French, come to think of it -- the Romance languages' roots are somewhat similar to the 'I - me, thou - thee' system, too (right, anyone who took Latin?).

[*]: The further back you go in history you go, the more Germanic and less of a mongrel English used to be.
   Christian R. Conrad
New I meant "perhaps he already told us".
Among the many things I collect are books about the history of the English language. So I know that English is technically a Germanic language, though the pedigree is rather grubby at the moment.

Several interesting bites (I'm summarising): OE lost a lot of its conjugations a little time after the Angles and Saxons settled in because there were two "versions" of English largely with different conjugations, so they wore away. Also: A *lot* of change of Middle English can be blamed on the Normans (French). Prior to that, English resembled German, Dutch and Danish. It was also because of the Normans that English lost a lot of descriptive phrases that we've never regained.

Wade.

New Nice collecto-mania... :-) "Descriptive phrases"?
New Personally.. I miss pre-Norman 'schweinehund' (sp?)
New Descriptive Phrases.
The poem Beowulf is rich in descriptive metaphor and simile. Modern day English always strikes me as tawdry by comparison.

Wade.

New A, I C... "Kennings", as they're called in Old Norse.
New & vice versa, of course - who wants a sand cake for pudding?
*) Apostrophisms in general -- it's utterly amazing how many people get that wrong, and how often.

*) Thee - thou - thine, used in ways where they don't fit grammatically ('thou' for the subject, 'thee' for the object of an action).

*) Archaisms in general -- 90% of the occurrences of 'thee' or 'thou' that you see are accompanied by modern forms of verbs -- while right next to them, it's 'you' who 'art' or something.

*) Just about every third word, or two words per sentence -- whichever works out to more -- that Bryce writes.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Why do you think I said "It is..." ? :)
--
Chris Altmann
Expand Edited by altmann April 16, 2002, 05:07:22 PM EDT
     It is SPEECH dammit, not SPEACH -NT - (altmann) - (40)
         would you like frys with yer whine :) -NT - (boxley)
         You're fighting a "loosing" battle!!! -NT - (ChrisR) - (2)
             kneadnt start a pun war -NT - (boxley)
             Get it "rite". "Your" fighting a "loosing" battle! -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Holy fucking shit, man, you think *that* is bad??? - (CRConrad) - (25)
             semi litterate, half trained cat :) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 'Xackly my point! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Nit. - (static)
                     "litt\ufffdrature" IIRC (!) ____ Oops: should be under CRC's -NT - (Ashton)
             Re: Holy fucking shit, man, you think *that* is bad??? - (pwhysall) - (8)
                 Yeah, but the Rat-Man already covered that, above. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                     I fink pronunciation gets on my goat more - (Meerkat) - (6)
                         Its a sports thing, of course... - (jb4) - (1)
                             Knit be-eng piccoloed hear.... - (folkert)
                         Bushed! - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                             Eisenhower did it too, though. No indicator re - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 It's NUK-UH-LEHR -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             Umm? Didn't Carter have the same mispronounciation? - (Silverlock)
             Dessert instead of desert... - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                 Here's an obsure one. - (static) - (8)
                     About "you" versus "thee" - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                         Perhaps. - (static) - (6)
                             No 'perhaps' about it - here's a third "source": - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                 I meant "perhaps he already told us". - (static) - (4)
                                     Nice collecto-mania... :-) "Descriptive phrases"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         Personally.. I miss pre-Norman 'schweinehund' (sp?) -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Descriptive Phrases. - (static) - (1)
                                             A, I C... "Kennings", as they're called in Old Norse. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 & vice versa, of course - who wants a sand cake for pudding? - (CRConrad)
                 Why do you think I said "It is..." ? :) -NT - (altmann)
         It's "Ridiculous", not "Rediculous", dammit! -NT - (wharris2) - (1)
             Ah, yes! "DefinAtely" one of those that eluded me yesterday. -NT - (CRConrad)
         A few more: - (CRConrad) - (6)
             You keep missing my favorite: - (jb4) - (5)
                 OK, how about this one, then: "That's do to..." -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Sorry, Don't know that one... - (jb4) - (1)
                         Merkin, more than Real English. Must be pronounciation... - (CRConrad)
                 It's up there with 'ironical' - (Meerkat) - (1)
                     Yup - the ":" indicates it's aberrant here, too. 'Call-in' -NT - (Ashton)
         Someone's clearly been reading... - (kmself)

We've spent the past two years building up an immunity to Iocaine!
108 ms