IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Need some help - loss of US web sites !!!

About 4 days ago I noticed I could not access one of my US web sites (hosted in Maryland by Web-span).

I have been with them for several years. This ISP's web site was www.web-span.com but that seems to have gone as well.

I have had funnies like this before esp if web-span were revamping their DNS server.

Can anyone tell if they are still in business ? - can anyone access the site

[link|http://www.internetage.com/cartercopters/mainmenu1.htm|Internetage.com]

Any assistance welcome

Cheers - Doug Marker
New Details
Their domain name is paid up, but their primary dns server doesn't answer ping (NS.BETAWEB.COM 216.231.140.250) The secondary dns server does return ping (NS.EZY.NET 216.231.128.4) and EZY.NET's Web site comes up. No response from www.web-span.com or web-span.com (host not found).

I did not try making 216.231.128.4 my primary DNS server to see if it came up with anything (because I have a bunch of other stuff going right now and don't want to reboot).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: Details - tks will try ..

the 2ndry dom

Hopefully the problem is not that they have suddenly closed shop (they host a buckload of domains).

Possibly loss of priary DNS.

Tks

Doug
New Re: Details - tried that as my primary

But no resolution.

Sure hope they are still in Business - mainly the inconvenience of setting up alt site - at least I have full copies of all the sites running on my domains directed there.

Wayne Wtight is the man who established the business wayne@web-span.com

A very nice person to deal with & always very helpful.

Cheers - Doug Marker
New Re: Looking grim - tried phoning them but only ans phone

Seems quite unlike Wayne Wright to just dissapear - am wondering if something has happened to him personaly.

Will try phoning again today US time. As before primary DNS not responding but secondary is.

Am assuming all DNS down the chain have now dropped sub domains supported by this primary. I can get a host # for NS.BETAWEB.COM (due to it being linked to upstream) but all my domains fail to respond with any id#. Emails to wayne@web-span.com get bounced. Am wondering if he is in some way out of touch & doesn't yet realise he has lost his primary DNS & thus all his clients ?.

Anyone in Maryland ?

Not sure which part web span is located in

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do in a situation like this (I have clones of all the web sites). My original registrations are with network solutions so I guess I can get them to redirect my domains, but without knowing what has happened to web span, it is a difficult decision.

Cheers - Doug
New Re: web-span suffered disk failures ...

expecting to be back in operation today. Managed to reach Wayne Wright by phone this morning.

Doug M
New Down or out?
Most likely they could be down, or downsized and nobody knows how to fix it? Chances are with their main site down, they would at least get a call from a customer that the site is down.

Consider moving to another web site if this is another Dotcomdeath. [link|http://www.pair.net|Pair Networks] was always there for me, and had a 99.77% uptime (only down for software and hardware upgrades). Plus I think they froze their prices to 1995 prices? Back when the Internet was cheaper. Apache, *BSD servers, PHP, MySQL, etc.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Re: down but now up again - host farm failure

The host farm used by web-span had an aircon failure & web-span's main web & DNS server cooked 2 disks.

Because of issues to do with security access & that a few hosted machines from different ISPs got affected it took Wayne a few days to rebuild & recover.

I was eventually able to call him & get the full story.

Am back in business. Tks for the pointer re the other site.

Cheers - Doug
     Need some help - loss of US web sites !!! - (dmarker2) - (7)
         Details - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             Re: Details - tks will try .. - (dmarker2)
             Re: Details - tried that as my primary - (dmarker2)
             Re: Looking grim - tried phoning them but only ans phone - (dmarker2)
             Re: web-span suffered disk failures ... - (dmarker2)
         Down or out? - (orion) - (1)
             Re: down but now up again - host farm failure - (dmarker2)

HOWLING WOLVES OF CALUMNIATION!
38 ms