IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Time to change the light bulbs.
I have had to recognize that my stock of 95-Watt bulbs is dwindling and will not last out 2012. The Republicans have delayed the incandescent demise for the rest of the country but it is already banned in California.

The local home outlets now sell 100-Watt blue tint halogens encased in a regular size glass bulb with an E26 base for easy replacement. Tried those. They cost more than 10 times as much as the old bulbs, give less light and don't last nearly as long - despite the demonstratively fraudulent claims on the box.

My criterion is low cost, reasonable life, adequate brightness and smoothly dimmable.

So I'm standardizing on E11 (mini-candelabra) base halogens which I can get for $2.28 each (shipping included). In my experience, they last a rather long time. These require an E26 to E11 adapter, which I have had to order a 20 lot of from Hong Kong. The only US supplier I found wanted way too much per and was "out of stock" anyway.

This should hold me for awhile.
New The halogen bulbs shouldn't be 10x the cost.
I'm pretty sure they're not much more than 4x the cheapest incandescants were Down
Under.

I also noticed LED "bulbs" are coming down in price. I saw the other day Osram had a few in the local Bunnings store and they were comparable to the most expensive CFLs.

Wade.
Static Scribblings http://staticsan.blogspot.com/
New Yeah, they shouldn't be . . .
, , but that's obviously not the opinion of the local home improvement stores.

The wattage E11 halogens I'm buying on-line for US $1.50 each plus shipping are sold there for nearly $7.00.

I think this whole "energy saving" thing is being seen by the lighting and home improvement industries as an opportunity for profiteering.

Same as moving to metric size containers which is often done to conceal a price increase.
New I agree on the profiteering.
New incandescents banned in California?
Must have gone into effect since a week ago, when I purchased a four-pack of conventional bulbs at the Financial District Safeway in San Francisco. Although come to think of it...the clerk at the checkout stand did look kinda furtive.

dimly,
New Re: incandescents banned in California?
Existing stock is allowed to move out, but not be replenished. Stores that have high bulb volume are pretty much out. The shelves are bare at the local OSH, except lots of curly fluorescents, the blue halogens I've mentioned and a few odd items.

The 100-Watt bulb was banned a couple of years ago - which caused the bulb industry to shift to the 95-Watt bulb but now lesser wattages are also banned. Low wattage incandescents such as refrigerator bulbs are still with us.

Same thing in Germany, where one guy bought 3000 bulbs to tide him over.
New Your hundred-watt may be going
...but lesser wattages will continue to be available in the Golden States for a few years yet, my sources tell me. Plenty of time to drive to Nevada for stockpiles if you're so inclined.

cordially,
New Bulbs 40 watts and under will be unaffected . . .
. . but of what use are they?

The 100-Watt bulb was banned as of 1 Jan 2011. As of 2012 the 75-Watt range is also banned (taking with it those 95-Watt bulbs). This removes traditional incandescents completely from the general lighting market.

Meanwhile, my halogen solution should work fine and meet my requirements at an acceptable price.
New Don't confuse light output with power consumption.
Incandescent lamps are terribly inefficient. Most of the electricity they consume goes into heat, not light.

Incandescent bulbs aren't being banned. They just have to be more efficient.

http://www.energysav...cfm/mytopic=11977

Beginning in 2012, common light bulbs sold in the U.S. will typically use about 25% to 80% less energy. Many bulbs meet these new standards, including incandescents, CFLs, and LEDs, and are already available for purchase today. The newer bulbs provide a wide range of choices in color and brightness, and many of them will last much longer than traditional light bulbs. The lighting standards, which phase in from 2012-2014, do not ban incandescent or any specific bulb type; they say that bulbs need to use about 25% less energy. The bipartisan Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA 2007) established these efficiency standards.

[...]

More traditional inefficient 100 watt (W) bulbs—typically incandescent bulbs—will give way to choices—including newer incandescent bulbs—that use only 72 watts or less to provide you a comparable amount of light (lumens). If you are replacing a 100W bulb, a good rule of thumb is to look for a bulb that gives you about 1600 lumens. Your new bulb should provide that level of brightness for no more than 72W, cutting your energy bill.

[...]

1600/100 = 16 lumens per watt.

Some LED lamps have been at over 160 lumens per watt for a while now.

Amazon has a 2 pack of Halogenas that consume 72 W and produce 1490 lumens for around $3.50 per bulb - http://www.amazon.co...ck/dp/B00361IPPM/

Yes, Halogens don't last as long as traditional incandescents. But the life increases dramatically if they're dimmed even slightly. http://www.gelightin...ncandescent.htm#3

LEDs will continue to get cheaper. I expect that incandescents will gradually disappear for home lighting because LEDs are much more flexible in fixture design, mercury concerns in fluorescents will become more important, etc. Don't expect lots of investment in high-efficiency incandescents (HEI). GE dropped their HEI initiative years ago - http://www.treehugge...incandescent.html

Your electric bill will thank you as you gradually replace your lighting with LEDs.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is using lots of CFLs at the moment, waiting for the LED prices to fall further.)
New Some producers of LED bulbs have already been sued . . .
. . due to rapid decrease of light output with use. That certainly needs to be corrected (I see that with LED flashlights too).

In my experience, the tubular halogens, whether pin base or mini-candelabra, outlast regular incandescents by at least 2 to one. The one I use to light the pigeon feeding area is undimmed and bulbs last more than a year there. My bathroom light fixture has needed all three of its 100-Watt halogens replaced (with 75-Watts - more than enough for my small bathroom) but that was over a 5 year period.

The blue tinted halogen bulbs sold at the home improvement stores as "plug compatible" replacements for regular screw in bulbs lasted about half as long as a normal incandescent, and cost many times as much.

Another thing I require, not mentioned above, is a stable color temperature because photographs are taken here under various conditions by various people. Incandescents are not an ideal light source, but one cameras know about. My curly tube photo-fluorescents are an excellent light source for photos, but harsh and not dimmable. Other light sources are often erratic with color temperatures that are not compensatable, change as they warm up or change with time.

I do use a number of curly fluorescents, but only in areas where the light will always be wanted full up and never dimmed. Over time I'll replace them all with the photo variety which I like better. An 85-Watt curly photo bulb produces as much light as a 300-Watt incandescent and provides a daylight color temperature.
New Re: Don't confuse light output with power consumption.
In colder climates, the heat generated by incandescent bulbs is not wasted in the wintertime. That's actually an advantage.
--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> Mableton, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
New That's why I'm glad
that I still have my halogen torchiere lamp. 300W in the home office helps keep it nice during the winter (but is shut off the other 9 months of the year).

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New And, about those curly fluorescents . . .
. . the power companies love them. American curlys, unlike the European ones, don't have a capacitor in them to correct for power factor. This causes them to register more on your electric meter than they actually consume.

New WTF?
Are the euro type available here?
--

Drew
New Don't panic.
The whole point of using CFLs is they consume less power. Even if their power-factor is poor, the benefits of lower power consumption outweigh that.

http://homepower.com...6_pg128_Letters_1

So our reactive 25 watt CFL still uses an honest 25 watts, even though amps and volts go out of phase and the sneaky VA rise to 50, making energy consumption appear to double. The extra 25 volt-amperes is not lost or consumed, just stored or borrowed. It goes to work somewhere else. It may offset the power factor of another appliance or it may go back out to the utility line where industrial capacitors tweak it back into phase. Utility meters may not read the extra volt-amperes that CFLs suck into the house, but neither do they read the extra voltamperes that blow back into the grid from Carol’s house. Everything gets canceled out, and the only thing actually consumed is the 25 watts.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Nah, they don't use any more - you just get charged for . .
. . more than they use, because of the way the meters measure.
New I don't think PF is a residential problem.
It's in the power company's interest to keep the power factor in their system as close to 1.0 as reasonably possible to minimize losses and match capacity in the distribution lines.

Also:

http://www.cliftonla...om/compact_fl.htm

So what, you're probably thinking. I have many electronic power supplies running everything from televisions to computers to amateur radio equipment and all have this same peak cycle current draw.

Quite true. I can't find a definitive number in a quick Internet check, but the figures thrown around say that 15-20 percent of electrical power consumption in the US results from lighting and the great majority of this represents incandescent lamps.

If we switch to CFL lamps, the total lighting-related power consumption will drop, a good thing generally. However, having a significant proportion of the total electrical power load represented by AC waveform peak devices such as the Sylvania CFL I looked at is definitely not a good thing. It increases the harmonics in the power line and also presents a highly non-linear load to the power utilities. These things complicate both electrical generation and the distribution network, including power transformers. The European Union, in fact, has adopted a standard, EN61000-3-2, placing limits on the relative amplitude of the current pulse harmonics, with the thought of avoiding or at least reducing problems caused to the electrical power grid by peak-charging loads such as the CFL.

This is sometimes said to be a "power factor" issue. Normally the power factor relates to the phase between the voltage and current waveforms. Power factor is the cosine of the phase difference between the voltage and current, sometimes expressed as a percentage and sometimes as a ratio over the range -1 to +1. A resistive load has a power factor of 1.0, as the voltage and current are in phase. Motors are inductive and have a power factor that varies with motor size and construction, but is usually in the 0.8 to 0.9 range. Overall, a power utility's load is normally inductive due to customer's motor loads, and the power factor can be brought closer to 1.00 with capacitors, if necessary. You will sometimes see a capacitor package installed on pole tops by some utilities for power factor correction. (At the risk of being inaccurate due to brevity, the power generation and distribution network must be sized for apparent power, i.e., VARs or the product of voltage times current, called volt-amperes. The actual load that residential and small business customers pay for, however, is voltage times current times power factor or watts. Hence, it's most efficient for the utility if power factor = 1.00. Large scale industrial and commercial users, however, often are billed for both VARs and kwh.)

The issue with a CFL is not so much the power factor, as it is that the entire power is drawn over a relatively small segment of the 60 Hz waveform. This spike-type current waveform, if analyzed in a Fourier series, or looked at with a spectrum analyzer, will show that it causes harmonics in the power system. It also causes a problem similar to the power factor issue, in that the power network must be designed for the instantaneous voltage/current peaks.

Emphasis added.

Low PFs and spiky current draw of CFLs is an issue that the power companies need to address. It's not something that residential users are going to be paying for due to the meters reading incorrectly. Residential meters measure KWH not KVAH. Industrial users are billed for KWH and KVAH so it's also in their interest to get the PF up near one when connecting to the grid.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I agree.
Power Factor made computer industry and electronics news many years ago with the rise of PCs in homes. Some of the standards on PSUs came about because the cheapest and nastiest switch mode PSUs coming out of Asia had atrocious power factors and power companies were complaining.

If American CFLs had worse power factors than European ones due to a missing part, then there is either a lot of money talking to calm down the power companies, or there is a showdown looming.

Wade.
     Time to change the light bulbs. - (Andrew Grygus) - (17)
         The halogen bulbs shouldn't be 10x the cost. - (static) - (2)
             Yeah, they shouldn't be . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 I agree on the profiteering. -NT - (static)
         incandescents banned in California? - (rcareaga) - (13)
             Re: incandescents banned in California? - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                 Your hundred-watt may be going - (rcareaga) - (5)
                     Bulbs 40 watts and under will be unaffected . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                         Don't confuse light output with power consumption. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Some producers of LED bulbs have already been sued . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Re: Don't confuse light output with power consumption. - (rcsteiner) - (1)
                                 That's why I'm glad - (lincoln)
                 And, about those curly fluorescents . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                     WTF? - (drook) - (4)
                         Don't panic. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Nah, they don't use any more - you just get charged for . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 I don't think PF is a residential problem. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     I agree. - (static)

The next steps I'm real fuzzy on.
145 ms