IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Here is your quote.
The ecclesiastical courts applied the canon law, a sub­category of the Civil Law as defined. These courts dealt with the clergy and personal matters including matrimony and probate. While the jurisdiction of the ecclesiastical courts was eventually transferred to the common law courts in the 19th century, the canon law influenced equity before then,which, in turn, later became a part of the Common Law.

A few thoughts.

1) Roman Law != Canon Law.
2) I am not willing to concede that Canon Law is the basis of Common Law. I will, however, concede that Canon Law influenced Common Law. (Canon law include laws of matrimony and probate after all, and these areas were originally outside the King's dominion.

However, influence is slippery term. Certainly Canon Law influenced Henry VIII decision - but I'm not sure I'd argue that that they were based of Canon Law. :-)
New Concession
My first post was too broad, should have.said canon law was influential, but not "the" basis. In the areas under discussion in this thread, it was the basis...but not overall.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
     why am I not surprised - (boxley) - (92)
         Re: why am I not surprised - (beepster) - (88)
             Binary Man continues to be Binary. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (87)
                 Please enlighten me about how you perceive this as binary? - (beepster) - (86)
                     Re: Please enlighten me about how you perceive this as binar - (Another Scott) - (85)
                         Ok - (beepster) - (84)
                             Re: Ok - (beepster) - (83)
                                 Re: Ok - (Another Scott) - (82)
                                     Oh, I get it - (beepster) - (81)
                                         Binary Man continues to be Binary. - (Another Scott) - (80)
                                             Hmmm. No evidence, no med diagnosis to support - (beepster) - (79)
                                                 As usual - (crazy) - (78)
                                                     Re: As usual - (beepster) - (77)
                                                         Whoa, "more tolerant"? - (crazy) - (1)
                                                             dont forget dessicated porcupines :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                                         And as far as tolerance: - (crazy) - (58)
                                                             Well then - (beepster) - (57)
                                                                 You don't get to own the word. - (crazy) - (28)
                                                                     My statements? - (beepster) - (27)
                                                                         Path of least resistance? - (crazy) - (26)
                                                                             Hmm. You appear to not be paying attention. - (beepster) - (25)
                                                                                 Marriage - (crazy) - (24)
                                                                                     Can't believe this - (beepster) - (23)
                                                                                         And neither does anyone else - (crazy) - (22)
                                                                                             Sure appears that way - (beepster) - (21)
                                                                                                 Ah, me idiot - (crazy) - (20)
                                                                                                     I don't need to re-read - (beepster) - (19)
                                                                                                         Hmm, I thought our laws were dervied from English common law - (Another Scott) - (18)
                                                                                                             dig deeper - (beepster) - (17)
                                                                                                                 I think I can make the argument - (S1mon_Jester) - (16)
                                                                                                                     Yup - (crazy) - (7)
                                                                                                                         Know what. - (beepster) - (6)
                                                                                                                             Very good example - (crazy) - (4)
                                                                                                                                 Of what, exactly. - (beepster) - (3)
                                                                                                                                     If you say so - (crazy) - (2)
                                                                                                                                         There's an accusation now? - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             Easily - (crazy)
                                                                                                                             Hey, I'm a canon law scholar now, yay - (crazy)
                                                                                                                     That would all be well and good. - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                                                                         Not sure it is. - (S1mon_Jester) - (6)
                                                                                                                             Thank you. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                                             Re: Not sure it is. - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                                                                                 Actually, if you read carefully... - (S1mon_Jester) - (3)
                                                                                                                                     Can't cut and paste from pdf - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                                                                         Here is your quote. - (S1mon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             Concession - (beepster)
                                                                 Also, you STOLE the word and the concept - (crazy) - (14)
                                                                     >I< didn't do anything - (beepster) - (13)
                                                                         Sure, when your people killed off the competition - (crazy) - (12)
                                                                             You mean, like Islam? - (beepster) - (11)
                                                                                 Sure - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                                     ICLRPD - (rcareaga)
                                                                                 Interesting side track - (crazy) - (8)
                                                                                     You disavow your own arguments so easily - (beepster) - (7)
                                                                                         "intolerant" - (crazy) - (6)
                                                                                             to what point and to what end - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                                                 No, I'm not - (crazy) - (4)
                                                                                                     Wrong, and there you go again - (beepster) - (3)
                                                                                                         Good - (crazy) - (2)
                                                                                                             Who? - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                                 I had the same decision - (crazy)
                                                                 "Separate but equal" doesn't work. We tried that. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                                                     You are missing the point to..so let me be clear - (beepster) - (11)
                                                                         Nice try. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                             Re: Nice try. - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                 Why does it matter? -NT - (crazy)
                                                                         better yet, no need for a state marriage license at all - (boxley) - (7)
                                                                             Agreed -NT - (crazy) - (6)
                                                                                 Argh - (beepster) - (5)
                                                                                     No, I want it at the FEDERAL level - (crazy) - (4)
                                                                                         Go back and read, butthead - (beepster) - (3)
                                                                                             The single word matters - (crazy) - (2)
                                                                                                 no, actually it doesn't. - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                                                     Of course not - to you - (crazy)
                                                         Well, a little off there... - (S1mon_Jester) - (15)
                                                             Re: Well, a little off there... - (beepster) - (14)
                                                                 I like irony. I'm ok with that - (crazy)
                                                                 Really, you haven't heard of Richard Cohen? - (S1mon_Jester) - (12)
                                                                     Hmm - (beepster) - (11)
                                                                         Nope. - (S1mon_Jester) - (10)
                                                                             NO IT WAS NOT - (beepster) - (9)
                                                                                 My apologies - your argument was that - (S1mon_Jester) - (8)
                                                                                     He doesn't do that - (crazy)
                                                                                     Ask youself - (beepster) - (6)
                                                                                         Apparently not acceptable to you... - (S1mon_Jester) - (5)
                                                                                             Well then, - (beepster) - (4)
                                                                                                 Tough when you don't understand the culture -NT - (crazy) - (3)
                                                                                                     You proven only one thing here - (beepster) - (2)
                                                                                                         Such a surprise - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                                                             You had an argument with yourself - (beepster)
         Re: why am I not surprised - (pwhysall)
         It was pretty inevitable - (jay)
         If one has the patience.. - (Ashton)

Absorbant and yellow and porous are we!
112 ms