IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You won't like my suggestion.
You'd be better off and cheaper and more maintainable using the OpenBSD stuff.

The internal IT guy, if he can read instructions, that you provide, he can maintain it.

Seriously, I don't care for black boxes as they die at unexpected times and are typically tough to replace as nobody knows how they work.

At least with the BSD box, you can backup the configs and reset/replace the machine should it die some horrible death.

Its really a simple firewalled routing issue. Put costs on the interfaces for certain types of traffic and it should just take care of itself.

The tricky part will be the external Website using primary and secondary IPs... since most web apps don't have/understand failover... it never even gets in the spec nor does it usually work if it does need to do it.
New seconded
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Says the 2 professional admins who deal with this all the
time
New no, I deal with routers and network groups
but you control all pieces of the operation because of size. Most of these small appliances are running a form of linux and iptables under the hood so you might as well control the whole thing yourself. You might be surprised (or not) at how many big name pizza boxes run a form of linux under the hood in network and SAN space
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Oh c'mon. Do I seem that dumb?
I've been following device evolution for years, ever since the 1st TIVO and low end routers and cable boxes started using it. And when the high end router advertising protocols and gbit bandwidth showed up on the Linux devices, I knew they owned the market. I'm surprised when they are NOT linux based.

Which has nothing to do with installing a general purpose do anything operating system, and then deciding the exact pieces to install, and then configuring each of the pieces to work together, and then creating a failover box since if I'm not around it can not be recreated by anyone else (at least anyone else available).

And keep in mind when this box goes down, the entire company will stop working. This is not an isolated "use occasionally" system, this is the cornerstone of how people deal with the outside world.

Note: That recipe is the same for any dedicated 3rd party box over a self install, and it usually makes sense for smaller companies who do not have multiple techs to draw from. You don't even need to know what it is doing to know that a supported black box solution where the cost of development and support is spread across many devices is usually the cheaper solution, and almost always the SAFER solution than any home brew, no matter how much better the home brew solution is.

Note: This equation goes away the second you have 2 full time techs working for the company. 2 techs can be leveraged many times over what a single tech can do, no matter how good the single one is, because they can get past the single person dependency issues.

Of course, it means accepting the limitations of the box. What I usually do is get a black box, use it until I hit the limitation, and then recreate the expandable Linux or BSD equivalent and start using that as a backup or extra. But I want a supported box to start off with, and I want it for a fall-back if I hit a problem with my home brew solution.

Ok?

Dual wan suggestions (please) - (crazy) - (7)
         I assume Cisco would be more than happy to sell something. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             hate cisco - (crazy)
         You won't like my suggestion. - (folkert) - (4)
             seconded -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 Says the 2 professional admins who deal with this all the - (crazy) - (2)
                     no, I deal with routers and network groups - (boxley) - (1)
                         Oh c'mon. Do I seem that dumb? - (crazy)

There's no wraith like an Old wraith.
44 ms