IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, this *is* a notebook
A good network manager should be just a front end that automates the steps that I'd do by hand myself: Scan the local area, find any available networks, display them with relevant details (name, strength, secured, etc.), and allow me to select one to connect to. I don't know how they could screw that up badly.
--

Drew
New Easy - it was programmed by Red Hat.
I admit to having limited experience with Red Hat - because I actively avoid it.

Every time I do deal with it I find their stuff disorganized confusing and difficult to use - often it seems it's made "different" just for the sake of being different.
New Be happy you don't have a Lenovo Winders box.
Sometime in the murky mists long ago, I was messing around "cleaning up" my T61 running XP. It has various Lenovo utilities for connecting to networks, allowing new drivers to be downloaded, etc., etc. 98% of which I never used. In the process of cleaning out cruft from the Registry, or updating some drivers, or something, I broke the "Access Connections" WiFi tool. No amount of reinstalling or doing the usual things would fix it.

Ok, just use the standard Windows Networking instead.

No, you can't do that because the magic WiFi tab in the Windows configuration that lets you check "Let Windows handle WiFi connections" is missing. Mess around, mess around.

Reinstall the Access Connections tools.

Still no worky, but at least the WiFi tab is back, so Winders can handle it.

I read somewhere that to fix it one had to remove all the WiFi drivers, update the BIOS, reinstall the AC software and drivers in some particular order, and even then there were many who complained that it didn't help.

I haven't had those problems with WiFi under Ubuntu, but I usually punted and used fixed IP addresses rather than figuring out historical issues with DHCP, etc. I sympathize. I hope you have it figured out well enough to connect reliably.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Ubuntu doesn't see wireless network that Vista sees - (drook) - (9)
         Driver for your Wireless card... - (folkert) - (8)
             Details - (drook) - (7)
                 Should be supported natively - (scoenye) - (6)
                     Using Network Manager - (drook) - (5)
                         Re: Using Network Manager - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                             Well, this *is* a notebook - (drook) - (2)
                                 Easy - it was programmed by Red Hat. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Be happy you don't have a Lenovo Winders box. - (Another Scott)
                             NetworkManager ain't as bad as it used to be. - (static)

Can anyone here PLAY this game??
88 ms