Watched it the night before last.

Now, I love surrealism, and weird is fun for me. But this didn't go anywhere. Two hours and no payoff.

The only character who made any sense at all was Frank, and his only motivation was "I'm a crazy bastard". Jeff should have sucked me into the story, but his utter lack of motivation and survival instinct means I'm not so much rooting for him to complete his quest as wanting him to go back to the hardware store. His motivation is never more than vague curiosity-first about the ear and then about his own reactions. His survival instincts would make the second-killed bimbo in a teenage slasher shake her head if it were still connected.

I'm not picky about plot holes, but this thing is plot lace. Torn plot lace. The setting just doesn't fit the characters. And I don't mean in an ironic "hidden below the surface" sense. In a small town, a sadistic gangster with no impulse control who beats people up openly, always burns rubber when he drives, has an entourage, and is always toking on an ether mask might be able to avoid prosecution because he's powerful, but he's going to be a fixture - everybody will know about him.

And then there is Chekov's Rifle. The camera hangs on a curtain that blows in the wind at several key points. SPOILER ALERT: There is nobody hiding behind the curtain. Nobody goes in or out the window. No key object. There isn't even any detectable symbolic meaning. There is a plot point involving a window, but the window is never actually used (because it's a 7th floor apartment and the window idea is incredibly stupid, so stupid that even Jeff doesn't go through with it, which is saying a hell of a lot) and it isn't this window.

David Lynch does some interesting things with pictures. He's inventing new cinematic language. Unfortunately, instead of using it to tell a story he's using it to babble incoherently.