undermining (their) core 'values'.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three children who have
been raised by single parents (due to one circumstance or
another) and they have turned out great! All three have
brilliant futures ahead. Their parents were very committed
to their success.

On the other hand, I can think of three other children who were
raised in traditionally married households. All three have problems
with drugs, the law, lack of education, lack of opportunities, etc.
In large part this is due to a lack of commitment, discipline, and
communication on the part of the parents.

There are good parents and bad parents -- married and single.
Parenting education is needed far worse than politically-based
marriage initiatives.

My $.02
New On a tangent...
The 'Go get a husband' phrase was the reponse to an unmarried woman who wanted to undergo IVF treatment in Australia. At least she's been going through the courts and winning the right to undergo IVF treatment, turning the clock forward, as it were.

Article is [link|http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/04/02/1017206202238.html|here], but will probably be archived to a Pay For It version in a couple of days.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New If a grad student in 'government' made such a proposal
the ridicule might be formally accompanied with a review of social, political and theological categories: and how they interact (and don't).

When a Selected Resident makes such a proposal: why shux, we Know who his buddies are, what cockamamie stuff has already been tried and: that there is no imaginable limit to what Other and next cockamamie stuff shall be floated.

So far.. we gots the big clock at the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists set 5 minutes closer to midnight. What was that other clock? Oh Yeah:

2 YEARS! 9 Months and about 6.3 days til: Inauguration after the NEXT election (or Selection, as the case may be, and assuming there is one..)

Meanwhile: try to save energy to prepare for the Next fumigation of that poor Oval Office rug.. there can be stains worse than semen on that rug, by 2004.

Ashton
Can the Pray for Welfare Millennium Act, be far behind?
New I think it is a reaction to the 60's welfare programs
Back when for a family to get assistance there could not be a man capable of working living at home. This created a system of single moms. Instead of fixing the problem, society found a way to redefine the family. The backlash in the 80's about welfare queens hurt those who had serious needs. People were found to be abusing the system and welfare reform was started. Trouble is the poor are always with us. Married people dont have to get a divorce any more to get aid, but likewise a single mom shouldnt be forced to get married to get assistance. There is two types of assistance, temporary with those who get into a bad patch and permanent for those who cannot for whater reason make their way to full self sufficiency. Government has done a poor job of helping either.
thanx,
bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
     Single mothers should get themselves a husband! - (Brandioch) - (19)
         There's an obvious explanation, though: - (Ashton) - (1)
             Remember his last attempt? - (Brandioch)
         Turning back the clock... - (slugbug) - (3)
             On a tangent... - (Meerkat)
             If a grad student in 'government' made such a proposal - (Ashton)
             I think it is a reaction to the 60's welfare programs - (boxley)
         At least eliminate the "single incentives" - (SpiceWare)
         I know I'm reaching but..... - (Silverlock) - (10)
             They can't afford to admit that - (drewk) - (9)
                 Ditto. - (Brandioch) - (8)
                     But, the state governments do care who you marry. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         As long as they can legally enter into a contract. - (Brandioch)
                     Marrying a cat - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         That's got to be the ultimate "out of context" quote -NT - (drewk)
                         Practical problem: who raises the children? -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                             And do you toilet or litter box train them? -NT - (bbronson) - (2)
                                 Toilet, of course - (drewk) - (1)
                                     Since this is Politics: what could you do if you found out - (Ashton)
         Why should they? - (orion)

I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
46 ms