IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New First reports from flight recorders.
http://english.aljaz...271416196601.html

An Air France jet that crashed into the Atlantic Ocean two years ago stalled three times before plunging into the sea, killing all 228 people on board, information from the plane's flight recorders shows.

French investigators said on Friday that data from the devices, known as black boxes, revealed the final minutes of the air disaster, with two co-pilots struggling to regain control of the Airbus jet.

The emergency began with a stall warning two and a half hours into flight 447 between Rio de Janeiro and Paris on June 1 2009.

The captain was on a routine break at the time and was summoned back to the cockpit by the second and third in command, but did not retake the controls.

The co-pilots wrestled with the plane's controls for three and a half minutes as it descended rapidly, falling 3,350 metres per minute, rolling from left to right and finally plunging into the Atlantic.

"There was an inconsistency between the speeds displayed on the left side and the integrated standby instrument system (ISIS), the French Bureau of Inquiry and Analysis (BEA), said.

"This lasted for less than one minute".

However the investigators said it is still too early to give the causes of the crash, and a full report is expected to be released this summer.

[...]

:-(

A little more at the link.

I suspect Ask The Pilot at Salon and Fallows at the Atlantic will have some comments in the near future.

Cheers,
Scott.
New that sounds a lot like
pitot tubes freezing up.

I'm wondering if they dropped the nose (to regain airspeed), and exceed Vne.
New Not likely.
From what I've read the aircraft was largely in tact when it hit the ocean. I'd expect greater structural damage prior to impact if they'd exceeded Vne. Especially when one considers how fragile those plastic airplanes from Europe are. Remember this?

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this ACC as follows:
the in-flight separation of the vertical stabilizer as a result of the loads beyond ultimate design that were created by the first officer's unnecessary and excessive rudder pedal inputs. Contributing to these rudder pedal inputs were characteristics of the Airbus A300-600 rudder system design and elements of the American Airlines Advanced Aircraft Maneuvering Program.

http://www.ntsb.gov/...11130X02321&key=1

Since this is a fly-by-wire a/c, it's pretty interesting how the pilot was able to apply "unnecessary and excessive rudder pedal inputs" while flying well below Va. If these Eurotrash a/c can't handle a little wake turbulence, I doubt very seriously they'd stay together at Vne.
----
bcnu,
Mikem
New Did some searching
and that thing was dropping like a rock. Something like 10,000 ft a minute.

I had not realized that they flew INTO a thunderstorm.

http://www.theatlant...-tells-us/239598/
New Yup. ~ 120 mph down. AKA "terminal velocity" :-(
If one knows the numbers for mass, appropriate cross-sectional area, once can calculate the terminal velocity here - http://www.grc.nasa....rplane/termv.html

150 ft/sec = 100 mph.

Cheers,
Scott.
New One possible nit.
With the airbus' FBW [fly by wire] system and passive stick, the crew would have none of the force or buffet cues through the side-stick that might have told them this.

I am very far from an ATP and I know next to nothing about Airbus control systems. But, after about 9 years of hangar flying with some ATP's, it's my understanding that even fly-by-wire a/c have "shakers" in the control yokes. These are designed so that the pilot gets a physical cue that a stall is imminent. Maybe it malfunctioned or is not part of the Airbus design (if not, that, in and of itself, would be alarming).

This is very dangerous flying, I don't care who you are. In IMC, you're taught to "trust your instruments" because, well, that's the only thing that's going to tell you if you're upside down or not. It's a hell of a thing to be in hard IMC and not be able to rely on your instruments.
     Nova: 'Crash of Flight 447' -- virtuoso sleuthing - (Ashton) - (24)
         Thanks for the pointer. I'll have to watch next time. -NT - (Another Scott)
         New debris field found. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Missed that.. thanks. - (Ashton) - (6)
                 Just a side note - (S1mon_Jester) - (5)
                     I note the availability, now of an emergency Attitude - (Ashton) - (4)
                         Well, for strictly Attitude Indicator... - (S1mon_Jester) - (3)
                             Thanks for the information. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 While I no-AI-chops, I did run Eliza on my Otrona.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     Thanks for the reminder. - (Another Scott)
         Black box surfaces.. but no memory! - (Ashton) - (8)
             They found the memory unit. ~1 week+ to decode. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Had any thoughts about pitot tubes? - (Ashton) - (4)
                     Might be worth a try. - (Another Scott)
                     Pitot blocks shouldn't be fatal. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         I still think it's more - (S1mon_Jester) - (1)
                             Alternate static *should* have handled that. - (mmoffitt)
             CVR found, too. If interested. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Thanks.. 3 weeks to hear more. -NT - (Ashton)
         First reports from flight recorders. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             that sounds a lot like - (S1mon_Jester) - (4)
                 Not likely. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                     Did some searching - (S1mon_Jester) - (2)
                         Yup. ~ 120 mph down. AKA "terminal velocity" :-( - (Another Scott)
                         One possible nit. - (mmoffitt)

Anything that ugly should die and be eaten at breakfast.
95 ms