IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Um, for the Conferderates it was all about Slavery. HTH.
New so it wasnt about slavery for the north, thank you
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New The important word is "all". HTH.
New You misunderstand boxley, A S
There is no center to address. He has arrived at a kind of zenlike state, all koan all the time—or to switch hemispheres, a kind of platonic ideal of contrarianism. No countervailing argument can touch him: he will blithely contradict.

I would despise marlowe for this, but box, I am becoming convinced, is an artiste.

http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=teMlv3ripSM

cordially,
New :-) Ja, he's one of a kind. ;-)
New cow or bull?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Who ever said it wasn't?
President Lincoln made it pretty clear that it was all about keeping the country in one piece and about eliminating slavery also. That, to the best of my knowledge, has never been in dispute.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Swing and a miss.
I think you're overplaying that "eliminating slavery also" stuff. But, you're entitled. You won the war, so you get to rewrite history. But, what did old Abe say himself?

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

A. Lincoln, Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862.

'The foolishness of Civil War reenactors' - (Ashton) - (29)
         The Victors always get to write the history books. - (mmoffitt) - (26)
             So you've finally decided to smoke dope, huh? - (rcareaga) - (21)
                 naw, he gets it - (boxley)
                 What Mississippi Said - (lincoln) - (2)
                     so why did the valiant yankees wait - (boxley) - (1)
                         It was only about slavery on one side - (mhuber)
                 What Georgia Said - (lincoln)
                 Constitution of the Confederate States of America - (lincoln)
                 What North Carolina and the Constitution said. - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                     So if North Carolina didn't mention slavery - (lincoln) - (13)
                         what was your grade? - (boxley) - (12)
                             Hmmm... - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                 emancipation proclaimation was in what year? - (boxley) - (10)
                                     It's in the linky. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                         if its all about the slaves - (boxley) - (8)
                                             Um, for the Conferderates it was all about Slavery. HTH. -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                 so it wasnt about slavery for the north, thank you -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                                                     The important word is "all". HTH. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         You misunderstand boxley, A S - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                             :-) Ja, he's one of a kind. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                             cow or bull? -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Who ever said it wasn't? - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                         Swing and a miss. - (mmoffitt)
             Current version - (mhuber) - (3)
                 You and I are very close in our assessments. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     In that vein, - (Ashton)
                     Don't worry about my painful things - (mhuber)
         one economic viewpoint - (lincoln) - (1)
             Besides which ... - (drook)

A source of annoying catchphrases now.
72 ms