IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Glade makes one
My cats (well, I'm pretty sure just one of them) uses my bathtub as an annex to the cat box.

So I was trying to rig up something like the item in the video, but I'm kind of cheap so I got a Glade air freshener to take apart for the motion sensor. And I realized that the air freshener makes a hissing sound like an angry cat. Better yet, the servo motor growls first, and then you get a hiss. I just put the unit in the tub as-is.

Not really dramatic, and it relies on changes in light so I have to leave the bathroom light on, but it works.
---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
New Wonder how long until the cat learns
--

Drew
New That reminds me.
I made a sensor light on a cord to help keep the cats out of the Christmas tree one year. It was inspired by a story from Adminiscott, actually, and in the end it was an IR sensor on a box, properly wired up (!) to a plug and a socket. I've still got it somewhere

We only used it once and it was partially effective. I'd plugged a radio into it, which was almost more interesting than whatever TV we were trying to watch. :-/

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New We only had to use it a few years
Then the cats developed a Righteous Fear of Christmas trees.

Of course, I was using a shop vac and not something so weak and humane as a radio...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New 'Driveway Patrol'
is a wireless beeper with remote sensor, (range maybe even 600'.)
Dirt cheap on Amazon -- $15ish at time I + neighbor bought a couple sets.
I needed to monitor In/Out to garage re. Outdoor Cat, Petra and especially.. ^%#@%$@^$! raccoons!
enroute to check if any food is left over.

(And yess, after being busted/rousted maybe 10X-in-a-row ... raccoons Can Learn to fuck off!)
It helps to toss a few small rocks at them as they waddle away, to emphasize that it is Not a game for their amusement.
These are nasty creatures, known/seen to mutilate chickens wholesale, even through fence wire -- for no reason associated with food / just Repo-grade blood lust.

Reliable, decent battery life: 3 C-cells in base monitor + a 9V in sensor/xmitter ... lasted many months. (9V must have been drawing only μamps in wait-mode.)
False alarms arise only if foliage is in scan field + wind-motion or.. early morning sun direct (you make a toilet paper tube collimator for more directionality.)
All-in-all, I thought these a bargain which did exactly as claimed. A lot of well-designed techno for a pittance.

As to bathtub matter: 2 loudnesses of monitor alarm means that, with receiver in tub with sensor -- cat would exit in-haste, I wot.
Lots of other applications come to mind, not least of which -- as it is IR and invisible with easy camouflage of sensor
-- prowler confirmation, cheaper than CCTV if not quite as amusing or evidence-creating.

Bon appetit

Ed: 3 C-cells, not 4.
Expand Edited by Ashton May 7, 2011, 04:00:50 PM EDT
New Yes, raccoons very much enjoy killing . . .
. . even much more than cats do.
New And cats like it A LOT
--

Drew
     Business venture? - (folkert) - (11)
         I saw that on facebook... - (S1mon_Jester)
         Love. It. - (Ashton)
         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         He has a sense of theatre. - (static)
         Glade makes one - (mhuber) - (6)
             Wonder how long until the cat learns -NT - (drook)
             That reminds me. - (static) - (1)
                 We only had to use it a few years - (malraux)
             'Driveway Patrol' - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Yes, raccoons very much enjoy killing . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     And cats like it A LOT -NT - (drook)

We look. Often we do not see. Only rarely do we see fully.
71 ms