IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Depends on units of measurement
I can't think of any normal units (other than a completely vague "servings") that put healthy fats on a par with fruits and vegetables. And I'm very much a high-fat guy.

Let's face it, a cup of veggies to a cup of olive oil? Nope. 100 grams of each? Closer, but still, let's be serious, that's a little bit of broccoli and a hell of a lot of oil. Calories? Maybe.

Whole grains? Please. Whole grains are probably (but not necessarily) a little less toxic than refined flour, in that there may be some good stuff (but nothing you can't easily get from other healthier foods) worth some of the damage, and the bad stuff probably hits the metabolism slower, but that's about all you can give them. If you aren't a rodent or a weevil, grain isn't really food. It can be processed into food-like substances or beer. It ain't food. Which is sad, because I love rice.

My pyramid has green vegetables as the base, then fish, eggs, poultry. Then red meat, cheese, and sweet fruit. Next level is grain and my beloved potatoes, the top sugar.

Oil is a whole other thing, because it is consumed in small but potent amounts spread over other things. So we start with the olive, then the butter, then other animal fats, then other veg. There is no need for trans-fats. Those are merely a convenience for the fast-food industry and a way to claim "no cholesterol" which turns out to mean pretty close to nothing.

Alcohol has its own pyramid: Hard white, hard brown, wine and mead, beer. Residual sugar to alcohol ratio is the key here, with beer having other grain issues as well.

---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
New Wow, excellent summary
Want to turn that into a guest post for my blog? Couple links to source references and it's just about ready to go as is. Of course, that would give me an excuse to link to your site.
--

Drew
New Thanks
Sources are a little difficult (I synthesized from several, but Taubes is the main one) but maybe I should take the time just to refocus myself.
---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
New Reading Taubes is sort of a double-edged sword
On the one hand, you really understand just how much shit "science" is out there regarding food. (And I suspect regarding most subjects.)

On the other hand, you end up sounding like a broken record or a fanboi when you try to refute the crap: "Well, as Taubes wrote ... According to these 17 studies that Taubes identified ... You know, you really should read Taubes, since he's already covered all this ..."

BTW, Box is completely right about the "weevil" line

I'm also a fan of "food-like substances, and beer".
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 29, 2010, 03:15:29 PM EST
New All this science stuff is entertaining . . .
. . but is it meaningful?

Large populations subsist mainly on white rice. Are they overweight and diabetic? If not the science is little more than a curiosity.

The same with potatoes. Are Peruvians who subsist mainly on potatoes overweight and diabetic?

I think, right now, with "science" slowly losing saturated fats as the "great evil", potatoes have been appointed to that role. Ya gotta have the boogeyman to explain away your failures.

New Have to reintroduce racism
Not surprising that a culture that has existed on rice for thousands of years might have adapted better to it than a culture that has mostly grown wheat. And that gluten intolerance might be more prevalent where wheat was less common.

All this interbreeding has got to be playing hell with our natural defenses.
--

Drew
New Yes, but white rice . . .
. . has been widely available for only a couple hundred years - not enough time for much evolution.
     Thoughts on "Heathly Eating Pyramid"? - (Another Scott) - (17)
         Re: Thoughts on "Heathly Eating Pyramid"? - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Keep this in mind about cholesterol . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     Yup. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Yeah but - (crazy) - (1)
                             Those numbers are his cholesterol numbers. - (Another Scott)
                     People don't like admitting they were wrong. - (static)
         Ack! - (drook)
         It plays it too safe. - (static) - (1)
             Thanks. See above. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Depends on units of measurement - (mhuber) - (6)
             Wow, excellent summary - (drook) - (5)
                 Thanks - (mhuber) - (4)
                     Reading Taubes is sort of a double-edged sword - (drook) - (3)
                         All this science stuff is entertaining . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                             Have to reintroduce racism - (drook) - (1)
                                 Yes, but white rice . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

link lrpdism
69 ms