IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 'The Moral Landscape': Why science should shape morality
http://www.salon.com...emium%29_7_30_110

Haven't yet scanned the article as it is so manifestly FUBAR, on its very postulate.
(It isn't even bad rhetoric; gotta be so absurd that it isn't even wrong..)
Letters OTOH ... some 35 PAGES ... look quite promising, some brilliantly concise, yet.

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
New well mengeles was all about the science
science is a lot of things, stand alone moral it is not. Can it assist in moral decisions? Of course
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Science should cook my breakfast
I'm hungry and I don't feel like cooking.

Science just doesn't address the moral questions. On the genital mutilation, science may answer the question "what are the effects" but it doesn't tell us whether healthy and happy women are more important than men who don't have to worry about their wives cheating because they enjoy sex. What if science found that FGM actually does prevent infidelity? Would that make it right? Our moral opposition to FGM comes from somewhere more human, not from the scientific understanding that it is bad for a girl's health.

Science can tell us whether an action is likely to have a desired result, it can't tell us whether we are right to desire that result.

The article shows an assumption that making the well-being of conscious creatures the desired result is somehow scientific. Science does not make that claim. It can't. It isn't a testable claim.

Science-loving people tend to have a more open-minded world-view than many religious people, particularly people who reject science on religious grounds. This usually leads to a set of moral positions that I (and the author, apparently) find attractive. But their morality and their love of science come from the same open-mindedness, the morality does not come from science.

Science informed the designers of my stove, and informs me as to the metabolic consequences of my breakfast choices. Science informs me about the probable results of some actions. But it won't cook my breakfast or tell me what results are right or wrong.
---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
New +5, Elucidative.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Excellent.
New aka Zen koan: 'Talking does not cook the rice'
AAaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

-- mmmm.
     'The Moral Landscape': Why science should shape morality - (Ashton) - (5)
         well mengeles was all about the science - (boxley)
         Science should cook my breakfast - (mhuber) - (3)
             +5, Elucidative. -NT - (static)
             Excellent. -NT - (Another Scott)
             aka Zen koan: 'Talking does not cook the rice' - (Ashton)

The spice must flow.
61 ms