IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ADMINISTRATIVE NOTICE - forum hosting location
I have moved the iwethey.org site to a new machine (a Linode - http://www.linode.com, for the curious). While the old chutney machine is venerable and loved, its propensity for requiring hard reboots and inconvenient trips to the co-location facility to fix has earned it a trip to the pasture. The new Linode machine has remote console capabilities, integrated VM backups, and a price half as much per month as the old co-lo.

The new forum software is currently installed here:

http://forum.iwethey.org/

I have imported the most recent backup of the old posts (we're missing about a year's worth of posts, unfortunately -- thank you, Sven, for your attempts to recover the full backup) as well, by placing the new posts from this copy after them.

Notes:

Users with the same nickname here as on the old copy have had their posts combined and their password/preferences set to their current values. Marked Read have also been translated as well, inasmuch as the new and old forums match. This is scripted as part of the import process so it's Not A Big Deal at all.

Users with different nicknames can have this same merging done by request. This will require either some out-of-band proof of identity or obvious recognition by me.

The new forums will run in temporary mode for the next week or so to prove out the translation process. Anything posted there will be lost when we do the final export/import (which is thankfully 95% automated now) in a week, but I encourage you to post there as much as possible for testing.

Old forum posts will look odd, given that there is no runtime translation of WeeCodes being done. This will probably annoy someone enough at some point that it will get fixed. Posting repeatedly in the Suggestions forum complaining about it will likely put that date off into the future. I'm looking at you, Rand...

Please don't make a run against the forum to save off copies of the old posts. I can provide them to you in a much more convenient format that doesn't require eating into our 200G/month bandwidth allotment.

At some point the Jabber server will be back up as well. Note to self: ensure email routing is working, too.

Enjoi.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New woot! yay! and an ip request...
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New ping forum.iwethey.org
New Gracias compadres! (all) ...
(Knowing just enough about the process to be dangerous) I thought too, that the piecing together of random snippets would have demanded quite more than the patience of Job; more like the retirement free time of a billionaire (do any of those ever retire from multiplying their assets?)

So thanks for doing the barely-possible with all that time you might have used for more interesting things.
Priceless.

New Thanks!
Sorry about Chutney.

I guess those several odd things happening in 2006 may have made more problems...
New It had a good run.
The VMs are just more convenient all around, though.
Regards,
-scott
New Thank you! Seems to be working for me.
New And somewhere, a sysadmin got his wings
--

Drew
New Cheers ears m'dear
This is me, signing off, heading over there

Dude. You done good.
New I'm guessing.
That that would partly be why your posting frequency is down.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Thank you, once again, for all your hard work.
Oh, and CONGRATS! Working in embedded-land, I have only a rough idea of what this entailed...but I can easily appreciate how much work it took to once again move this motley crew. You done good. Heading over there for a look-see.

Welcome the the U. S. of A., Inc.
jb4
New Just had a look...
Wow!

I am impressed!

Welcome the the U. S. of A., Inc.
jb4
New Don't get too impressed.
There are still some weird performance issues to iron out.
Regards,
-scott
New Yay! Thanks, Scott!
It will be so great to get back to our real home!

Owl
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 17, 2010, 12:08:44 PM EDT
     ADMINISTRATIVE NOTICE - forum hosting location - (malraux) - (13)
         woot! yay! and an ip request... -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             ping forum.iwethey.org -NT - (folkert)
         Gracias compadres! (all) ... - (Ashton)
         Thanks! - (folkert) - (1)
             It had a good run. - (malraux)
         Thank you! Seems to be working for me. -NT - (Another Scott)
         And somewhere, a sysadmin got his wings -NT - (drook)
         Cheers ears m'dear - (pwhysall)
         I'm guessing. - (static)
         Thank you, once again, for all your hard work. - (jb4) - (2)
             Just had a look... - (jb4) - (1)
                 Don't get too impressed. - (malraux)
         Yay! Thanks, Scott! - (Nightowl)

Always wook on da bwight side of Wife!
73 ms