IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Uncle Sam is here to help you (dont let him get behind you)
unless he is wearing a condom.
seriously the issue is muddled in this case.
[link|http://www.usatoday.com/news/washdc/july01/2001-07-30-reporter.htm|http://www.usatoday...reporter.htm]
than,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New It is not funny
Ashcroft (he is one of us Missourians! He lost to a dead guy, remember?) tries to take away a G_d given right, the freedom of speech (or the press). The DMCA already took away the "Fair Use" of Copyrighted material, so what other rights do we have left that they can take away?

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

New Well, it could be argued he not a member of the press.
He does not work for a newspaper, newsmagazine or TV news organization. Anyone can say "Well, I'm writing a book". Do you see the dilemma? That's why Bill is saying it's murky.
Alex

This is my sig. There's another almost like it, but this one is mine.
New But she is a journalist
It says so:

The jailing of a Texas reporter who refused to give her research to U.S. prosecutors has raised concerns that Attorney General John Ashcroft is reversing a policy that gives journalists wide latitude in protecting confidential sources and unpublished information.

At the Justice Department's request, a federal judge jailed freelance writer Vanessa Leggett on July 20 on contempt of court charges after she refused to turn over notes, tape recordings and other material she collected while researching a book on the slaying of Doris Angleton in 1997. Angleton was the wife of Robert Angleton, a millionaire ex-bookie who was acquitted in 1998 of hiring his brother to commit the murder.

We know so far that she is writing a book and did some research. Research I may add that any Police department, Privite Investigator, or Federal Agents could have done themselves. It is not like she actually witnessed the crime or was involved in it.

Leggett, 33, a writing teacher at the University of Houston, does not have a contract for her book and has not published any articles related to it. She has talked with several magazines about publishing a story on the murder case, however.

She is currently looking for work and in talks with several magazines. What exactly would constitute one to be a member of the Press? It sounds to me as if she is a Freelance Writer that works for the Press and is looking to find a magazine to publish a story. Does that mean that an IT worker who is a freelance contractor and on the "Bench" for two weeks not a real IT worker?

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

Expand Edited by orion Aug. 1, 2001, 01:42:43 PM EDT
Expand Edited by orion Aug. 4, 2001, 03:04:16 PM EDT
Expand Edited by orion Aug. 4, 2001, 03:05:02 PM EDT
New Re: But she is a journalist
That a paper says she's a journalist, doesn't make it so. You can't believe everything that you read. It also says the is a writing teacher at the University of Houston.

Other than what I've mentioned before, I'm not sure who else could be called a member of the press. It is a "protected" group according to the US Constitution.

Using your definition, anyone who has notes they want to keep from authorities, simply by talking to newsmagazine editors is member of the press and can keep the notes private. It seems too easy.

Now, I don't know the details of this case and INAL, but from where I sit it seems too murky to make the call. If the Constitution and legal precedents don't make it easy to decide then maybe the US Supreme Court has to clarify this for us.

Unemployed IT workers are irrelevant to the issue.

Alex

New Of course you don't know
Even the identity of the judge involved is secret.

If that isn't enough to get you riled up, well, whatever.
White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Re: identity of the judge involved is secret
I agree that sucks and should nor be permitted. Gag rules with reason are one thing, but this is ridiculous.
Alex

New Re: But she is a journalist
I would say that if she has a history of publishing articles or books, that would make the argument calling her a journalist a bit stronger - but not entirely sufficient. If she's never published anything before, her credentials become more suspect.

I've had some articles published and actually wrote a chess column for a year or so, but I wouldn't call myself a journalist.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Edit this post, please, Norm.
Don't use <pre> for quoting.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Yes...use 'blockquote' instead
Example...

Check the temperature & pressure relief valve on the hot water heater (annually) to be sure the lever is functioning. Consult the operating manual for the procedure. If the valve does not work, have it replaced. (Note: Water will drain from the line linked to this valve. Have a bucket handy to catch it.) According to the Uniform Plumbing Code, a pipe should be connected to the pressure relief valve, extending down along the side of the tank to w/in 6 inches of the floor. This extension pipe prevents the spraying of hot water when the valve is released or if a malfunction occurs.

...looks so much nicer
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Hey Wade...
What happened to the word-wrap on this thread?!?
jb4

(Resistance is not futile...)
New What would they do with it?
I don't even get the *point* of jailing her. There's three scenarios:

(a) Book shows it was a murder for hire - so what? The husband has already been found not guilty and it would be double jeopardy to prosecute him again.

(b) Book shows the brother acted alone - so what? That was his confession.

(c) Book shows someone else did it - now there's the only possible thing that might get the Justice Department's panties in a wad, and that seems unlikely.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New They wouldn't like 'a'
The husband has already been found not guilty and it would be double jeopardy to prosecute him again.

I'm sure that wouldn't look good on someone's resume.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
     Uncle Sam is here to help you (dont let him get behind you) - (boxley) - (12)
         It is not funny - (orion) - (9)
             Well, it could be argued he not a member of the press. - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
                 But she is a journalist - (orion) - (7)
                     Re: But she is a journalist - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                         Of course you don't know - (mhuber) - (1)
                             Re: identity of the judge involved is secret - (a6l6e6x)
                         Re: But she is a journalist - (wharris2)
                     Edit this post, please, Norm. - (admin) - (1)
                         Yes...use 'blockquote' instead - (Fearless Freep)
                     Hey Wade... - (jb4)
         What would they do with it? - (wharris2) - (1)
             They wouldn't like 'a' - (drewk)

If I bought someone a G5 and they did this to it, I'd break their face.
283 ms