IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah, a Linux distro from a few years ago
Current ones are getting as large as recent versions of Windows - not something to be proud of.

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Not so
Although there's a lot of software in a Linux distribution, the desktop will run on computers with fewer resources than WIndows XP thru 7.

I have an ancient Compaq Presario V4000 (512MB, some tatty Celeron or other, you know the drill) that my mother was going to scrap. It had Windows XP Home on it which, when freshly installed, was fine; once it had been loaded up with all the bits and pieces that are required on top of a base WXP install to make it useful, it was a dog.

It's now running Linux Mint 9 and is more than adequate for running Firefox, Evolution and other internetty things. I have no doubt that it would make a fine, if slow, development box.
New For someone who claims to know very little about linux
you sure are opinionated.
New I'm running...
XUbuntu 10.04 on an 800MHz 512MB Dell Laptop... Just fine. All the eye candy turned off... just like I do on my 3 year old T61.

You seem to think everything is insurmountable. Hence, you are a victim.

Same Story, Different Day.

When you stop playing the victim and stop being the broken record you claim I am, then I'll be glad to help you.
New Definitely not so.
The *current* Debian will run a-okay on a Pentium 200 with 96Mb of RAM. I know this because that's what my server is.

I wouldn't run X on it, though. Well, actually I wouldn't run GNOME on it. It would probably do quite okay with XFCE or WindowMaker. But for a lightweight website and mail server, it's fabulous. I've learnt a lot running that on an old server.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Conficker it out? Here's a detailed account - (rcareaga) - (38)
         Mostly good ... except ... - (drook) - (37)
             Missing two of the biggest issues known... - (folkert) - (36)
                 Oh, forgot to come back when I finished the article - (drook) - (34)
                     I don't want to run Windows Vista or Windows 7 - (lincoln) - (33)
                         Where did I say I desired anything? - (drook) - (26)
                             Correction - (altmann) - (1)
                                 Ahh, my bad -NT - (drook)
                             Then show me - (lincoln) - (23)
                                 Two things - (drook) - (21)
                                     Re: Two things - (lincoln) - (20)
                                         Keep ignoring advice... - (folkert) - (19)
                                             And you're ignoring reality - (lincoln) - (18)
                                                 Re: And you're ignoring reality - (folkert) - (17)
                                                     Indeed. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                         I guess Hell has frozen over - (lincoln) - (2)
                                                             Shrug - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                 Re: Shrug - (lincoln)
                                                     Project much? - (lincoln) - (12)
                                                         http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/ - (boxley)
                                                         So... you have made it impossible for me to... - (folkert) - (10)
                                                             Re: So... you have made it impossible for me to... - (lincoln) - (9)
                                                                 I *CAN'T* answer because of your conditions set out. - (folkert) - (8)
                                                                     I give up - (lincoln) - (7)
                                                                         Awesome. Now that you have finally come to the... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                             Hey Greg (just saw this thread) - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                                 Well, its true... I *DO* prefer OSS stuff over - (folkert)
                                                                         Don't give up. It's just getting good. :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                             if you are thinking java join the local SUG - (boxley)
                                                                         That would be strike one. - (beepster)
                                                                         Advice from a career counselor. - (Another Scott)
                                 Volunteer somewhere doing what you like/want to do. - (Another Scott)
                         With recent statement from you... - (folkert) - (5)
                             Yeah, a Linux distro from a few years ago - (lincoln) - (4)
                                 Not so - (pwhysall)
                                 For someone who claims to know very little about linux - (crazy)
                                 I'm running... - (folkert)
                                 Definitely not so. - (static)
                 'Ring 0' says it all.. - (Ashton)

Enthusiasm substituting for real talent.
107 ms