1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Find something you like.
THat's always been how I dealt with it.

Find something you like, and go do it.

Go fishing.

Take a flying lesson. (you can't get your medical for a while with those drugs in the system, but you don't need that til you solo, so you can take lessons with the CFI in the right seat).

Go to a baseball game.

Whatever. Just pick stuff that's fun to do, and don't *worry* about it.

Find a solution.

Started your project yet?

Addison
New My project
It should just be a simple checkbook balancer program. I haven't started the analysis and design on it yet. I want to get something that can help the average person balance their checkbook without having to pay a hefty price for bloatware. I haven't decided what language to do it in yet, but as a challenge I may do more than one version of it in different languages. First VB, then Pascal/Kylix or C++.

I'll also have to research the licensing, I was thinking of Open Sourced, but not sure if GPL or BSD would be better. Or maybe I can just make it commercial and give them the source if they pay for it?

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

New Stop delaying.
I'll also have to research the licensing,

No, you don't.

Don't even start that til you have at least an Alpha candidate for release.

You don't need to worry with what license. That's for later.

Code now.

Whatever you want to do, then do it. Start it. Set up the directories, the flowcharts, however you want to.

Do a milestone list of what you want to accomplish - that's all productive.

Worrying about licensing isn't (right now).

So get busy with the project, and have fun, and see if that helps.

Addison
New Put on hold
I haven't done anything on it, and am putting it on hold until I get better medically. I will consider it when I am starting to recover.

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

New Missing the point.
Sure, you have to prioritize, but until you SET some firm dates, it will always be delayed.

And I think you might learn a lot, not just about programming, but about how to set those dates, how to get stuff done - and *I* think that might help on the depression front, as well.

Why would you wait? What medically is keeping you from coding, rather than typing?

Addison
New Yeah...
The best way is to just dive in.

Sure, get a rough draft of architecture and how you want to design it. But, don't get bogged down in it. Next thing you know you'll get down on yourself because there's so much design work to do.

Design a little, code it, design some more, code it, etc... keeps you busy on the project, and keeps you from getting bogged down in the mire of design.

Don't get me wrong, if it's a huge project with many team members, design is good. But, in the case of solo programming and smaller projects, you have to KISS.

Just my .02,
-Jason
----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
     Going for a week without AntiDepressants - (orion) - (8)
         Find something you like. - (addison) - (5)
             My project - (orion) - (4)
                 Stop delaying. - (addison) - (2)
                     Put on hold - (orion) - (1)
                         Missing the point. - (addison)
                 Yeah... - (jlalexander)
         Combatting depression - (DonRichards)
         Bummer, dude ...oh wait...bad answer -NT - (Fearless Freep)

Something smells and it doesnt smell like curry.
128 ms