IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Blogmeisters: What to do about HTML in comments?
Drew set up a blog for me, but I've yet to do anything with it for several reasons. I was reminded of one of those reasons in seeing this SJVN post on single-signon solutions for Winders and Linux - http://www.itworld.c...cooperate-network

Look at the comments. In the Twitter box there's stuff that looks suspiciously like Twitterized comment spam to me (bit.ly links). (One legitimate comment is already complaining about it.)

What can one do about stuff like this on a personal blog? Other than refusing HTML, of course. If/when I actually start blogging, I'd like to accept HTML for legitimate links (part of what's great about this place is we can post links and not have a problem), but I don't want to have to click and follow each twitterized/obscured one first.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who figures this problem is just going to keep getting worse...)
New Akismet
I'm pretty sure I installed Akismet for you. If not, it's a simple install, then set up your account with them. (Add the plugin and it will walk you through the process.)

It's a Bayesian anti-spam service for your comments. I get 100k+ visitors per month, and I get maybe one or two spam comments get through per month, with about a dozen per day caught.

Don't try to solve this one on your own. Akismet works.
--

Drew
New I'm pretty sure you did too. :-) More reading to do. Thanks
     Blogmeisters: What to do about HTML in comments? - (Another Scott) - (2)
         Akismet - (drook) - (1)
             I'm pretty sure you did too. :-) More reading to do. Thanks -NT - (Another Scott)

In th' stables, m'lord.
60 ms