IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I still think he's being inconsistent
Okay, so he carefully changed the code so that everything still worked from build to built, from checkin to checkin. He's kept the functional requirements the same, but he's still done a lot more than basic refactoring, having rewritten a lot of it from scratch.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New The difference is
The difference is that he's still stuck with all the basic architectural flaws of the orginal design.

Jay
New Nail
I think that's really it.

If you're working with fundamentally sound architecture (software or structural steel, I don't care), then you can recover from a shitty or time-worn implementation. If the architecture itself is shot, then going from scratch is pretty much your only choice.

There are classic old buildings (again, good fundamental architecture) I've seen rebuilt. More impressively was a company that operated near where I used to go to school. Tracor Aviation builds jets. The jets they build have numbers like 737, 777, and even (for small values -- the short stubby birds), a 747. What they do is rebuild a Boeing in place, from the ground up. The airframe is totally replaced, but it's the same bird.

...the point being that that's cost-effective.

Which is what this all really comes down to.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/|http://kmself.ix.netcom.com/]]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New I think he is consistent
The act of writing software from scratch is a very different act from transforming existing code. Different steps, a different feel to the work, and different results.

He thinks it is always a better way to work. I think it is good to know about but only sometimes better.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     Joel Spolsky on Linux on the desktop - (drewk) - (15)
         Looks like it to me. - (Andrew Grygus)
         He talks about other things - including rewrites - (ben_tilly) - (7)
             Interesting about his rub-a-dub story - (wharris2) - (6)
                 Rebuild-in-place - (kmself) - (5)
                     And that is where my disagreement with him is - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         I still think he's being inconsistent - (wharris2) - (3)
                             The difference is - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                 Nail - (kmself)
                             I think he is consistent - (ben_tilly)
         Even so - (imric)
         I gots a question. - (acagle) - (4)
             On the computer I had - (wharris2) - (3)
                 WinG. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     That, was it and personifies Microsoft evil - (wharris2)
                 For me, the bane of OS/2 was - (acagle)

I fell in love with my manservant, who was
actually the disguised twin sister of the
man that my former love secretly married,
having mistaken him for my manservant who
was wooing her on my behalf whilst secretly
in love with me.

50 ms