IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Heh. #734. And "Animated Desktop".
http://xkcd.com/734/

:-)

Looking around the site in your link, I was reminded of OS/2 1.x's "animated desktop". It could do things like show fish swimming around as your wallpaper. It's not clear to me if anything like that exists now, though there are some that use Flash for animated cells on wallpaper.

(The main problem with running "animated desktop" on OS/2 2.x and up, IIRC, was the mask around the fish was square, so it wasn't seamless with a bitmap background.) One would think that in 15+ years someone could have come up with a good animated aquarium desktop by now...

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who uses winXplanetBG with a cloud map to change his desktop every 3 hours.)
New You can pretty much use...
anything as a background to display on X. As long as you let X manage the background, vs nautilus of other background managers.

This lets you put thing like the "earth view" program or pretty much anything else in place.

I;ve seen things from real time logfiles in the background, to webcams, to background compiling to build status.

Its not really hard with X.
New Re: Heh. #734. And "Animated Desktop".
There are/were Active Desktop based animated wallpapers, though I don't know if something based on AD could qualify as "good".

Vista and later (Ultimate only) has DreamScenes (looped WMV wallpapers). Stardock has an equivalent called DeskScapes that supports non-ultimate Windows.
New Thanks to you and Greg for the info.
I've only used Vista briefly. I'm thinking about getting 7 for a dual-booted Hackintosh I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on. It looked like 7 Pro was the best match for my needs, so I haven't looked at Ultimate much. I'll take a look at it.

I've never used any of Stardock's Windows software, but I was one of their early ObjectDesktop for OS/2 customers. Brad was quite a salesman. ;-)

Thanks to you and Greg for the information. It's good to see that people have been moving things forward.

Cheers,
Scott.
     GRAINNNS! - (SpiceWare) - (4)
         Heh. #734. And "Animated Desktop". - (Another Scott) - (3)
             You can pretty much use... - (folkert)
             Re: Heh. #734. And "Animated Desktop". - (altmann) - (1)
                 Thanks to you and Greg for the info. - (Another Scott)

Better than an iron-shod boot to the head!
33 ms