IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Things I've learnt about HD TV.
One of my goals is to buy a data projector for my MythTV box. Full HD projectors are, unfortunately, rather pricey. But there are plenty that do 1024x768 (XGA) and lots more that do 800x600 (SVGA) which is almost PAL... and I'm currently using an ordinary TV with it, anyway. Hmm.

Having been a reasonably early adopter of digital TV, it's been instructive to watch how it's developed here in Australia. I remember a decade ago how one particular network was pushing for mandatory HDTV, whilst another was really strong on multi-channelling. This resulted in a bun-fight that the Federal Government had to arbitrate over. When they all finally pulled their fingers out and got on with it, they all provided a SD channel with same content as on analogue, plus a HD channel that was the same content most of the time. And 'most of the time' is a crucial detail in the story.

Remember, too, that a decade ago, HD TVs were almost non-existant and *if* you could find one, very very expensive. Of course, in the meantime, flat-screen technology has come down in price and gone up in resolution and HDTVs are everywhere. But it turned out that Joe Public had almost no interest in HD over SD images. Given a choice between better pictures and more content, the vast majority of the viewing public will chose more content every time.

The three commercial networks in Australia have now long abandoned promoting their HD stream (ABC and SBS never even did that). All of them discovered the hard way that a HD stream that is usually the same but sometimes different from the main SD stream confuses much more than helps.

Ten eventually chose to completely re-purpose their HD stream to sport (which gives them an interesting advantage with graphics) but do have a SD repeater stream. Seven and Nine setup completely new SD streams... just as the ABC setup a third. And more are on the way.

Multi-channeling in SD is so very clearly what the great unwashed want. Not HD. I'm still going to try to find a projector that does at least 1024x768 (XGA), but I'm unlikely to invest in one that does full HD for quite a long time.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New turned out the other way here
The Fox network was broadcasting in "High Resolution" (480p 16:9 - DVD quality) while everybody else was broadcasting 720p or 1080i. Lots of people complained and they now broadcast 720p.

I suspect it's because we switched over before you did and the early adopters (those into it for the better picture quality) outnumbered Joe Sixpack at the time.
     How do widescreen TVs deal with widescreen DVDs? - (drook) - (26)
         It may be something you have to live with. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             None of those cases fit - (drook) - (7)
                 Linky? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Happens with every widescreen I've tried - (drook) - (5)
                         Video of what it looks like - (drook) - (4)
                             I think it's working as designed. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 "Enhanced for widescreen" is worse - (drook) - (1)
                                     I guess you're stuck. Sorry. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             The 16 x 9 looked about right. -NT - (beepster)
         Crap DVD player - (crazy)
         What you should see - (beepster)
         It looks like you've been got twice. - (static) - (11)
             That's what I suspect too - (SpiceWare) - (10)
                 It's a Coby something or other. No sign of an online manual. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Score! - (drook) - (8)
                     Saw with it Video TVs years ago. - (static) - (7)
                         This was a deal on Woot - (drook) - (6)
                             wonder if that's why it was on Woot! - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                 Wouldn't surprise me - (drook) - (1)
                                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             I forgot to mention. - (static) - (2)
                                 next time you want a portable dvd player buy a macbook -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Two problems with that. - (static)
         Synchronicity - (drook) - (2)
             Things I've learnt about HD TV. - (static) - (1)
                 turned out the other way here - (SpiceWare)

Smoke the pipe, and there will be no lies between us.
46 ms