IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes, and, in North America . . .
. . distributors pay the big bucks to get the supermarket chains to position their stuff in the "hot spots". It isn't just you, the consumer, who's paying for those impulse buys.
New I found the article.
Choice were limiting articles to subscribers; this one isn't fenced off.

http://www.choice.co...Introduction.aspx

Distributors buy the hot-spots in AU, too.

Edit: I should add that in Australia, the biggest two of our supermarket chains together have 70% of the market. http://hungrybeast.a...ile-woolies-coles

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
Expand Edited by static April 11, 2010, 11:52:17 PM EDT
New Why supermarkets (should) hate me.
If they check the results from their loyalty cards (no preference there, I have a card for every one of them) they'll find I seldom buy anything except the loss leaders.

Everything else I buy from the independents, small chains and ethnic groceries - nearly everything is much cheaper at those stores. So much for "economies of scale".

Only one problem with that strategy - parking. These stores have parking lots as large as those at the big chains, but I have to time my arrival to get a parking space. I once tried to buy something at Super King not at my regular time. Their parking lot is larger than that of most of the majors - but there was nearly a quarter mile line to get into the parking lot.

I often shop at 168 Market instaad of at Hawaii Supermarket because 168 has a parking lot almost the size of a city block and there's always a space, while at Hawaii it's always strictly "luck of the draw".

It's clear a lot of other people are using the same strategy I am.

Incidentally, the checkout lines aren't any longer than at the majors. Vons may have 2 or 3 checkout lines open, while Super King or Sunland Produce usually have at least 6, and 8 to 10 at peak load times.
New Totally different here
The chain supermarkets usually have 8-10 lanes open during peak periods. The small independents are usually in strip malls where you're lucky to have two rows of parking spaces the width of the store. And the only people who shop there are poor people.[1]

Ethnic markets, I couldn't really tell you what "most" of them are like, as I only know of a couple. Most of the import stuff I find at the West Side Market, so I haven't really looked for anything else.

[1] Not really, but it's like taking public transportation. Most people around here look down on it as something you do if you have no choice. Personally I loved taking the train to work.
--

Drew
New I generally walk to the supermarket.
Does this make me a bad person? :)
They said I was gullible ... and I believed them
New Ah, those were the days
When 60 minutes showed up at my dad's office to interview him concerning bribing stores for shelf space.
     Dang! Blew another $5. - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
         Supermarkets and impulse buying. - (static) - (6)
             Yes, and, in North America . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 I found the article. - (static) - (3)
                     Why supermarkets (should) hate me. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Totally different here - (drook) - (1)
                             I generally walk to the supermarket. - (Meerkat)
                 Ah, those were the days - (crazy)
         Dang again. That didn't work out at all. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Typo - (drook) - (1)
                 Thanks, fixed. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)

Its superficial lower whole number is belongs to us!
54 ms