IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Galbraith: Dangerous Metaphor - The Myth of the Labor Market
http://ideas.repec.o...ev/levppb/36.html - links to a 28 page .pdf from 1997.

[...]

The idea that people can readily be switched from one line of work to another would appear to stem from the idea that labor time is a commodity with a coherent meaning, and this notion is an extension of nineteenth-century abstractions about labor that have lost their slight purchase in real world conditions over the course of the present century. The manual worker with general skills hired out by the day for odd jobs at a negotiable wage is a fringe case. Everybody else is linked to a social network that dictates within broad bands terms of employment specific to his or her skills and background. The small actions that lend intuitive plausibility at the micro level to the concept of a market for fish ("Atlantic Salmon $5.99! Special Today!") are never observed in the so called market for labor. Wages are not set in response to the short-term variations of supply and demand, but rather by a complex process of relevant comparisons, within and across occupations, industries, and the characteristics and qualifications of the worker.

Most economists seem to have forgotten that John Maynard Keynes quite powerfully demolished the "supply curve for labor" in the opening pages of The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money. Keynes showed that there was no reason to expect that, say, an excess of unemployment would drive down real wages. He showed that even with high unemployment, the remaining workers would still rationally resist reduction of their money wages; moreover, even if their resistance failed, the subsequent fall of money wages would bring down prices, leaving real wages unaffected. Thus, labor markets do not respond like fish markets to excess supply. The "second postulate" of the classical doctrine, the supply curve for labor, failed as a logical construct, and Keynes threw it away, drawing an instructive analogy to the overthrow of Euclid's axiom of parallels. But, of course, the nonexistence of a viable supply curve implies that the market for labor itself is not a market in the meaningful sense of that term. Without a supply curve, there is no market, and the "equilibrium" of wages and employment cannot be determined in it. One is forced to look outside the classical confines of the labor market to find the determination of employment and of wages. In other words, one needs once again to build a macroeconomic, and specifically a Keynesian, theory.

[...]

If you happen to think that the performance of the American economy is on the whole poor - too much poverty or unemployment or inequality, for example - and that something ought to be done about it, what place is there for you under the macroeconomists' tent? The natural rate/NAIRU answer is no place at all. Policies to attack social problems belong in the micro sphere: education and training, infrastructure, welfare and welfare reform. The frustration that this produces, as when training is provided for jobs that do not exist, goes unaddressed.

And if the concept of an aggregate labor market could be wiped at a stroke from the professional consciousness, what would happen? Plainly, there would then be no reason to associate any particular value of the unemployment rate with rising wages and hence with rising prices and inflation. The concepts of the natural rate and the NAIRU, already embattled because of the failure of empirical predictions based on them, would certainly collapse. Economists would be obliged to find ways of evaluating the evidence governing both inflation and unemployment without granting privileged status to the idea that the two are closely linked. The policy notion that unemployment is a sensible means of controlling inflation would lose most of its power.

I believe this would be an enormous intellectual improvement, for it would divert research from the ephemeral pursuit of abstract and elusive scalars (Where is the natural rate, exactly? 6.0 percent? 5.5? 5.0?) into the analysis of a much more complex realm of data, such as already characterizes the more productive veins of research in labor and financial economics. It would also expand the scope of acceptable policy discussion. It would turn many thousands of unemployed, now abandoned to fate, into reasonable candidates for reemployment on reasonable public or public-private projects - physical, intellectual, and cultural - at reasonable terms. But for this to happen, it is evidently not enough just to raise doubts about the labor market theory of aggregate wages. For if wages are not determined in the labor market but in context- and institution-specific patterns, what exactly are these patterns and how are they to be made into legitimate objects of social inquiry?

[...]

I have no strong evidence regarding how influential these ideas have become, but they strike me as sensible, important, and worth pursuing. Anyone with open eyes can see that in the real world labor is not like the oil market - a laid-off physician will not work at McDonalds except under the most extreme circumstances. Education and Retraining will not solve the employment problem but should be pursued for other (social) reasons.

(via a comment at AngryBear)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Oh, I agree with him
I've been on the other side of the table. When we needed people, I (along with 1 or 2 other people) would define the job and the wage range. This range was very wide, from 45K to 110K. And then we'd find people, interview, and associate a dollars amount we'd be willing to pay them. This included how little they were willing to take, for the most part, unless this person was a superstar. But we'd try to give them more then they asked for, since they really had no idea what the top of the job range could be. Done it more than a few times.

For a single job, out of a 100 candidates, we might find 3 people that MIGHT be able to do the job. We could not know for at least a couple of months. We occasionally were WRONG, which meant 3 months + (6 to 20 months) before we could get rid of them.

So of the 3, 1 might be worth $50K, the others $80K. What happens if I saw the 1st 80Ker as my 3rd interview? I would not hire him until I interviewed at least 10 more people. How do I really know he's worth $80K, as compared to what the others in the local market have to offer?

Of course, if I believed he was really good, and under pressure to accept a different offer, I might push the process. I've lost good people by waiting too long. I also need someone, as fast as possible, from the project perspective. But I'd rather wait and do it myself if I can't find the right person.

If in the end, I choose the "other" $80Ker, based on what? Dunno. But the goal was not to save the money and take a chance on the less qualified person, the goal was not to screw up the hire. Different skillsets and my confidence in the person's ability to use them could add up to the same dollar amounts of value in my head, but when I have a few people to compare against, I can really see how their skillsets map into the project needs, where they are lacking, and where we'd have to backfill.

So at that point the decision becomes a lot easier.

New I like contract to hire for that reason
If they don't work out, you tell the contract firm, and they're off the site the next day.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Good read
Don't get taken in by the absolutist lead in on labor markets. He is not really saying that labor is not subject to market forces, rather that labor is subject to a lot more social, political and historical forces that often outweigh simple market forces.

He is a bit too harsh on the economic impact of infrastructure, education and other social programs. He seems to mistake the difficulty of measuring impact and the short sighted nature of business planners for a lack of impact.

His over all point that government should be considering social policy as much as economic policy when it comes to jobs is a good one though. Job markets are simply too bad of markets. Factors other then simple economics are far too often the real drivers of wages and jobs.

Jay
     Galbraith: Dangerous Metaphor - The Myth of the Labor Market - (Another Scott) - (3)
         Oh, I agree with him - (crazy) - (1)
             I like contract to hire for that reason - (malraux)
         Good read - (jay)

I could make a hat... or a brooch... or a pterodactyl!
44 ms