IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 25 new states starting to pay attention.
[link|http://news.com.com/2100-1001-861562.html|This fight only gets bigger]

Excerpt:

WASHINGTON--In three separate legal briefs filed Friday, a total of
34 states opposed a Microsoft motion that a federal judge should
dismiss the remaining portion of its antitrust case.

Nine states and the District of Columbia return to court Monday to
determine a remedy for the company's antitrust violations. But Microsoft
had asked U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly to dismiss the states'
litigation, arguing that the states should not be allowed to set antitrust
policy over the Justice Department. The Justice Department and nine other
states settled the case in November.

Twenty-five additional states rallied Friday behind the nine litigating
states--California, Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts,
Minnesota, Utah and West Virginia, along with the District of Columbia--in
an attempt to protect states' jurisdiction over antitrust matters.

Twenty-four of those additional states--Arizona,
Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana,
Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi,
Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey,
North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota,
Tennessee, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and
the Commonwealth of Kentucky--filed a joint
brief, saying they "take no position in this
Memorandum on the merits of the underlying"
antitrust case. New York filed a separate brief. The
nine litigating states filed a brief of their own.

In their brief, the 24 states argued that the Clayton Act grants them the
authority to continue a case "even when the federal government has
proposed to settle a case. Congress has granted the states clear authority to proceed independently under Section 16, despite the fact that the federal government has chosen not to act, has proposed to settle a case, has in fact settled a case, or has taken the matter to trial." New York raised similar concerns.

I say:

Looks like Microsoft really stepped in it when they said states shouldn't have a say. They just keep making enemies, and this all keeps getting bigger.

Me, I'm doing my part. Running Linux at home, and sneaking open source into work wherever I can. Let the state AG's and would-be competitors do the frontal assault in the courtrooms, while us smart-but-little guys do our end run.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Truth is that which is the case. Accept no substitutes.
If competence is considered "hubris" then may I and my country always be as "arrogant" as we can possibly manage.
New Happy to see my state is among the 25
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New NC is in MSFT pocket. Second largest MSFT location is...
right here in Charlotte. The finest state government money cab buy. :(
Alex

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think." -- Neils Bohr (1885-1962)
New Hey Alex, you in Charlotte?
I went to UNCC (didn't graduate there, transferred to Purdue) and my best friend has worked for the Sloth in the Charlotte Office since 1991.

But, fwih, it is no longer chic to work for $loth in Charlotte, better to work for the Hat in Raleigh ;-)
New Yep, in Charlotte since 1979.
Alex

New No kiddin'.
I bailed in 1986. My wife and I bought our first house in Newton (intersection of 18 and West C Street).

Infrequently, I get nostalgic about living there - but soon regain my senses :-)
New Re: No kiddin'.
I've been living in the South part of Charlotte just off Carmel Road (~4 mi SE of South Park). Moved here with IBM and, until I left IBM in 1992, worked at the Harris Blvd site not far from UNCC. I'm sure you know where that is.
Alex

New Yes I do. Small world idn't it?
New Yep.
Alex

New Wot, no Texas or New Mexico?
Don't the two dropout states want to reserve the right to any future anti-trust charges, regardless of federal action? Or do they now think charging mutli-national corporations is beyond their ken or something?
Microsoft antitrust violations - is it possible to be any more guilty, except using violence?
New Not difficult to figure out . .
The New Mexico AG isn't interested in antitrust in any form (she feels people should learn to be more trusting).

The Texas AG is working very hard to justify shreading of evidence as a Constitutionally protected right to free speech. In the face of Ashcroft's suspension of Constitutional rights, this is not at all an easy job and he really doesn't have time to think about anything else right now.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New As the worm turns...
Twenty-four of those additional states--Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and the Commonwealth of Kentucky--filed a joint brief, saying they "take no position in this Memorandum on the merits of the underlying" antitrust case. New York filed a separate brief. The nine litigating states filed a brief of their own.

Note Illinois. They were one of the Seattlement states! I guess Jim Ryan, current AG and also current candidate for Gubernor, may be feeling some heat?

For those of you who have not been keeping score, Ryan has been studiously avoiding debating the other candidates in the Repo primary (which is tomorrow), just so he can avoid discussing this and several other embarrasing developments that have been going on in the last 4 years on his watch.

Beep, You'll be happy to know that tomorrow, I'm taking a Repo ballot in the primary. I want (and will probably need) two chances to vote against Ryan.
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New You know things are rough for Microsoft when...
Twenty-four of those additional states--Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi,
Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota,
Tennessee, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and the Commonwealth of Kentucky--filed a joint
brief, saying they "take no position in this Memorandum on the merits of the underlying"
antitrust case.

...your own home state doesn't stay bought 'n paid for... :)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New I'm glad Washington does not have that tradition.
Alex

25 new states starting to pay attention. - (marlowe) - (13)
         Happy to see my state is among the 25 -NT - (wharris2) - (7)
             NC is in MSFT pocket. Second largest MSFT location is... - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                 Hey Alex, you in Charlotte? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     Yep, in Charlotte since 1979. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                         No kiddin'. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             Re: No kiddin'. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                 Yes I do. Small world idn't it? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Yep. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Wot, no Texas or New Mexico? - (warmachine) - (1)
             Not difficult to figure out . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         As the worm turns... - (jb4)
         You know things are rough for Microsoft when... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             I'm glad Washington does not have that tradition. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

When will they realize that their stupid cult is not the only one?
77 ms