IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Am I the only one whose comapany is hiring?
It is quite depressing to see the de-installed messages that pop up here too frequently. From what I can see here in Champaign/Urbana Illinois, business is booming. I haven't heard any news of layoffs in IT fields. Just the opposite in fact. Of course we may not have a big enough population of tech savvy folks to fill the existing jobs. If that is the case, it's understandable not to hear of any IT downsizing.

So how about it? How is the IT job market in your neck of the woods? Are the recent IWETHEY employment-impaired local flukes? Or is it just my location seems immune?

(And if living in central Illinois doesn't sound too dull, come on down and get a job)
"When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually there's no reason not to, so I just go ahead. It's given me the strangest collection of hats"
New Might be...
Around here, (RTP, NC), things are very glutted as pursestrings tightened and conslutants were jettisioned and Nortel is catapulting employees out...

So any hiring I expect is rather quickly done. :)

Addison
New Well, actually...
...my company has a quite a few openings here in Dallas.

If anyone's interested in working in Dallas for JPMorgan Chase Bank, just give me a yell: j_l_alexander[at]hotmail[dot]com.

Pretty neat company, in terms of working for a big company. I love the environment, and they're currently migration all M$ systems over to Java and Oracle. Lots of development going on.

-Jason
----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
New Sounds cool
We use Oracle and I've been writting a bunch of PL/SQL functions to make our queries easier. Haven't done much with Java, though I pick up languages quickly. For the PL/SQL I just picked up a book, skimmed it, and started coding routines we needed.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New choice: Pepsi or Coke
>> and they're currently migration all M$ systems over to Java and Oracle. Lots of development going on. <<

What was the main reason they chucked M$?

The industry sucks these days. Nothing but Java or M$. It is like choosing between Hitler or Mousilini.

M$ with their point-and-click spehgetti-making wizards, and Java with it's spehgetti API's.

sigh

Spaghetti.

Not being a programmer, I couldn't care less about which API is better.

But I do care about the incessant butchery of any language with which you come into contact.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Good Point
I'm not exactly anal, but horrible spelling is almost offensive. There is no excuse. You would think programmers should be good spellers, but they are often the very worst.
New I'm amazed you can spell "Hitler" - but "Mousilini"?!?
It's "Mussolini" -- Muss-o-lin-i, what's so fucking hard about that??? -- you fucking idiot!
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Lysdexia can be an asset. (But just for.. some artists.)
New That would be dicraphia, no?
New I've always heard it with an "i" sound

Thus, you could have emphusized, emphisized, emphosized, emphusized, etc., and most people would pronounce them the same under *normal* speach. Thus, perhaps we should have a generic vowel:

pr*nounced

emph*sized

moos*l*ni.....well, okay, moos*lini.

Anybody with me to overhaul English? I like to FIX stupid things instead of live with them. Well, except for Windows :-)
many teachers are, teachers in SOFLA are convinced that whole language where spelling doesnt matter so you are not alone. However since I consider my posts visual speech I rarely check spelling or punctuation. If I was submitting a document instead I would check both.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Axe me about eubonics. :)
Alex

Only two things are certain: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not certain about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
New putting letters in my mouth
>> many teachers are, teachers in SOFLA are convinced that whole language where spelling doesnt matter so you are not alone. <<

I am saying spelling wouldn't *have to* matter if we went with a purely phonetic system. There are no spelling bees in Spanish speaking countries because you don't need them.

(This is off-topic, but where should it be moved?)
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New That's Moosolini
the Canadian Italian leader of the Antlerist party.

And when you see his brown shirted quadropeds marching in from the North Woods, you put down the bong and run!

White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Moose salami? Never tried it in a hogey
In my area, I've seen many companies do layoffs every 3 years or so. I currently am at 4 years on my current job and I had no idea I'd be here this long. But then with everyone being sue-happy I can see why a Lawfirm doesn't have layoffs that often. :)

My annual review was due today, but the boss is out of the office. Maybe later?

I still get the headhunters calling me, but most of the stuff was out of state. I wonder which part of "I do not want to relocate" they do not understand?

"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"  Moe Howard

New and Industry
a lot of our customers are in the tech industry, so we're hurting because they're hurting.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Around here...
... the local unemployment rate is upwards of 20%.

The big interest rate increases last year really hurt the auto industry, and as the auto industry goes, so goes Detroit in general.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Speaking from the technical education industry..
We've gotten a flood of resumes in response to an ad we put out for a single full-time and several part-time instructors. Normally we'd consider nine to be a good response (though we'd usually get less) but this time I got about forty or fifty (and that was after I did some weeding of the initial pile).

Tom Sinclair
Lead Instructor
Computer Programming Dept.
Westwood College of Technology
Denver South Campus
New Re: Speaking from the technical education industry..
Hey - I wanna move back to Denver (my house has just been vacated by my renter).

Can I work for you? Or - do you know anyone hiring experienced software architects?

New What you might want to do
(after sending me your resume, of course) is to find a full-time gig programming (or architecting, for that matter) and look into teaching part-time. We're changing our program to include a lot more C++ and Java, as well as network programming so we'll most likely be looking for those kinds of skills.

So there's two plus sides here: You can get the satisfaction of teaching plus make a decent living (full time instructors get about $40K plus bennies) and we get an instructor with current skills who can keep them fresh.

New Been looking
for such a role. Pickings are slim. If I could find one I would. Send e mail or fax contact info to me at tblanchard at mac dot com.
New Hrm...
Well, as we know, I'm close to Chicago...And up here, the tech sector just plain sucks.

Remember MarchFIRST? The entire company is gone. Nortel laid people off. Lucent, the same. Motorola....ZZZZZZZZZZAP! And those are just the big ones.

I have an inside contact at Reuters, and they've frozen hiring. Possibly even rescinded an offer on the table (I'm not sure I'm remembering that correctly, so don't quote me on it.)

Anyway, suffice to say that it's bad up here. Any big company with lots of employees is laying off. The market is saturated with techies looking for jobs. Took me 6 months. Took my last boss at least 7 and a half, and I'm still not sure if he has a job yet, or if I'm just seeing him on AIM more often...
-YendorMike

In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New I think you've nailed it
The correlation between a large metro area and a tech staffing glut. Here in Champaign the comapanies are all smaller and the whole town is much more of an education based economy. Lots of companies started by ex-U of I-ers (Spyglass anyone?) with a true weirdness in staffing. Tons of students able to work short hours during the school year. But getting people with experience who are willing to live here year-round is another story.
"When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually there's no reason not to, so I just go ahead. It's given me the strangest collection of hats"
New Also private/public ownership may make a difference
For example, we're quoting an expensive machine for a midwestern filter company. They don't seem to be affected by the high tech slowdown; maybe part of it is that private companies (they are private) aren't affected as much by stock market woes, along with the different market (although filters are used extensively by high tech, e.g. for cleanrooms and high purity chemicals).

Tony
     Am I the only one whose comapany is hiring? - (DonRichards) - (27)
         Might be... - (addison)
         Well, actually... - (jlalexander) - (15)
             Sounds cool - (SpiceWare)
             choice: Pepsi or Coke - (tablizer) - (13)
                 ffs - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Good Point - (deSitter)
                 I'm amazed you can spell "Hitler" - but "Mousilini"?!? - (CRConrad) - (10)
                     Lysdexia can be an asset. (But just for.. some artists.) -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                         That would be dicraphia, no? -NT - (Arkadiy)
                     I've always heard it with an "i" sound -NT - (tablizer) - (5)
                         and something I notice about English - (tablizer) - (4)
                             so you are in favor of eubonics? :) - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Axe me about eubonics. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                 putting letters in my mouth - (tablizer)
                             Er - (pwhysall)
                     That's Moosolini - (mhuber) - (1)
                         Moose salami? Never tried it in a hogey -NT - (tablizer)
         It depends on the company - (orion) - (1)
             and Industry - (SpiceWare)
         Around here... - (admin)
         Speaking from the technical education industry.. - (tjsinclair) - (3)
             Re: Speaking from the technical education industry.. - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 What you might want to do - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                     Been looking - (tuberculosis)
         Hrm... - (Yendor) - (2)
             I think you've nailed it - (DonRichards) - (1)
                 Also private/public ownership may make a difference - (tonytib)

I know this because my t-shirt tells me so.
142 ms