IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New IE6.0.2800.1106 on Win2k
http://tastespotter.blogspot.com/ seems to work with IE6 here, if I scroll down to the bottom of the page I see the "special deals" box expand in at the center of the page (rather than from the margin).

Similarly with http://blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/ (I see a broken graphics box for the Vote for Better Food Flash link, but I assume that is due to not having the proper Flash player installed. (I almost never use IE.))

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Probably not going to bother fixing it
I checked my stats for the past 4 months. IE makes up 39% of my visitors. Of that, 13% is IE6. That's ~5%, and dropping fast as people upgrade computers. After this Christmas season, I expect that will drop like a stone.

And an interesting tidbit I discovered using the Google Analytics visualizer: The number of IE6 users per day is pretty constant. The newer versions (7 & 8) go up and down with the overall traffic graph. Conclusion: My regular readers tend to be less cutting edge. Not surprising, really.

Thanks for the report, in any case.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 5, 2009, 11:41:09 AM EST
New Ooh... 5% is marginal.
Someone I work with did some research about browser share and the risks of abandoning a browser. Below about 2-3%, we figured we can ignore a browser if it's causing problems. 5%, probably not.

Unfortuantely, our IE6 share is about 25%, which reflects the generally older PCs of our customer base. My colleague is not impressed, but 25% is far too high to tell them to upgrade.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Why it's acceptable to me
  • This is something new that I haven't been relying on up 'til now.
  • It does appear at the bottom of the screen, it's just not as in-your-face as it is for other people.
  • If the goal is to eventually convert subscribers into customers, I'm not falling over myself for people who haven't bought a new computer in a few years. (We'll ignore for the moment the relics that I use.)
  • We're already into the Christmas shopping season, after which I expect another drop in users of IE6.

Even without the IE6 users, it's already been extremely successful for me. So I'm happy with it. So (for now) I'm done working on the technology, and I'm spending my time on the content.
--

Drew
New All good points.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New I'm de-geekifying
I'm getting much better at saying, "True, but does it matter?" I'm much more comfortable with "good enough" than I used to be.
--

Drew
New Walmart has another $298 computer ...
Starting at 8AM this Saturday.

http://walmartstores...ewsRoom/9497.aspx

Just so you know.

Looks like Black Friday is going on all week... and Bestbuy and Sears are also hopping on the bandwagon.
New Anyone got IE7?
I just heard from a reader that it's appearing at the bottom for IE7, also. From what I've read, IE7 is supposed to understand fixed positioning. Maybe not true?

[edit]

I just moved the div to the top of the page, so it's more noticeable. Still not "fixed" (in IE6) like it's supposed to be. Can someone with IE7 or 8 tell me what they see?
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 6, 2009, 01:08:28 PM EST
New I see... dead people.
New Seriously? Like, no site at all?
Working for me here, but I know how little that counts for.
--

Drew
New No, that was a joke
I'm on linux here, and while ie4linux is a cool package, the truth is that it turns this computer into a dog, a sniveling buttlick dog no less, so I don't have the wherewithal to actually go look at the site in IE. Sorry.
New Had me scared for a minute there
Just spent a half-hour checking out some online browser emulators, see if I could use them for remote testing. The best of the bunch still only gives screenshots.

How does anyone without a room full of hardware test javascript behavior these days? (That's only partially rhetorical.)
--

Drew
New A room full of hardware...
Or a Big Ole Computer with a buncha VMs on it.
New Not here. NetRenderer?
I don't have a good feeling about trying to upgrade IE on old hardware. Sorry.

Is something like this good enough? http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's one of the ones I tried
It only gives static shots, and what I need to check doesn't show up until 2 seconds after the load. Plus IE6 chokes with an internal error.

There are a few products you can install that claim to emulate things, but all of them I saw were Win or Mac only.
--

Drew
New IE 7.0.5730.11 on WinXP
On http://tastespotter.blogspot.com/ the pop-in red box seems to work Ok - it fades in and expands from the left margin.

However, the layout seems to be broken as the right column of the page (your picture, etc.) is displayed below the fade-in box on the left column. Also, the box under the "Buy the book" text shows an embedded 500 error page.

On http://blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/ - the red fade-in box fades in and expands from the left margin even if I don't page down. Everything is also in the left column here.

HTH a little. Let me know if you want me to mail you a screen-shot.

Cheers,
Scott.

New Sounds like it's working right
For the Tastespotter test site, I pulled out most of the content in the right columns. Lots of it was scripts and/or linking to third-party sites, which just slowed down testing.
--

Drew
     Any jquery wizard around? - (drook) - (20)
         I notice one has Flash and the other doesn't.... - (Another Scott) - (1)
             You mean the video in the first post? - (drook)
         Solved - (drook) - (17)
             IE6.0.2800.1106 on Win2k - (Another Scott) - (16)
                 Probably not going to bother fixing it - (drook) - (15)
                     Ooh... 5% is marginal. - (static) - (4)
                         Why it's acceptable to me - (drook) - (3)
                             All good points. -NT - (static) - (1)
                                 I'm de-geekifying - (drook)
                             Walmart has another $298 computer ... - (folkert)
                     Anyone got IE7? - (drook) - (9)
                         I see... dead people. -NT - (jake123) - (4)
                             Seriously? Like, no site at all? - (drook) - (3)
                                 No, that was a joke - (jake123) - (2)
                                     Had me scared for a minute there - (drook) - (1)
                                         A room full of hardware... - (folkert)
                         Not here. NetRenderer? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             That's one of the ones I tried - (drook)
                         IE 7.0.5730.11 on WinXP - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Sounds like it's working right - (drook)

Liver alone, cheese all mine...
97 ms