IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But can't your just print out a web page
or Acrobat file or Postscript file or whatever and then staples the pages into a notebook or something and then read it in the toliet?

Get a [link|http://www.gnutella.org|GNUTella] client, point it at a server, and enter "Perl EBook" and see what pops up. :)

"Will work for fair salary and benefits, seeking company with integrity."
New Not quality or cost-effective in many/most cases
Considering the cost of toner, paper, and the poor quality of a 3-ring bound printed file, I still prefer a decent quality published book. But I do have colleagues who print hundreds of pages of online or Acrobat files.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New But improved interactivity
Hyperlinking gives a lot more flexibility in how you navigate material than printed matter. Also with some of those resources (perlmonks in particular) there is an opportunity to interact either through chat or posting. The ability to put out your understanding and receive targetted corrections where needed does wonders for accuracy.

That said, I prefer to learn significant topics from a book, then refine through online interaction.

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
New Hyperlinks hyped
Hyperlinking gives a lot more flexibility in how you navigate material than printed matter.

Sure, but examples of well-linked documents are vanishingly rare. And you still (usually) get more legible information on a printed page than you can put on a computer screen.
Where each demon is slain, more hate is raised, yet hate unchecked also multiplies. - L. E. Modesitt
New Not that vanishing...
Most decent wikis will wind up well-linked. And for aimless wandering through the trackless wildernesss, well try [link|http://www.everything2.org|E2].

Cheers,
Ben
"... I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything."
--Richard Feynman
     "Learning Perl" on the cheap. - (a6l6e6x) - (11)
         Depending how well you learn online... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             And miss having a *llama* on the bookshelf? :) - (a6l6e6x)
         Why buy a book when the web has it for free? - (nking) - (8)
             Much easier to sit on a toilet with a paper book - (wharris2) - (5)
                 But can't your just print out a web page - (nking) - (4)
                     Not quality or cost-effective in many/most cases - (wharris2) - (3)
                         But improved interactivity - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             Hyperlinks hyped - (wharris2) - (1)
                                 Not that vanishing... - (ben_tilly)
             At least one practical reason comes to mind. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 OT Re: ruined hearing - (drewk)

I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece.
84 ms